Chapter 4

The following week passed quickly and before either Nick or Lexi knew it, Friday was looming. Nick had been trying to do the research that Jeremy had asked him to do a few weeks ago, and had been making progress. But that was before he found himself distracted by a certain Brunette Beauty, Truth be told, she had been on his mind since the night that they met. He was doing research on the Friday afternoon of their date when his phone rang. He looked down and groaned when he realized that it was the Alpha, himself, most likely calling for an update.

"Hey Jeremy, how are things going in Bear Valley?" he asked as a greeting.

"Hi Nick, things are fine here, quiet." Jeremy replied.

"That's good. How are Kate and the boys?" Nick asked, trying to put off the inevitable.

"Everyone is fine here Nick. How are things going with looking into those Mutt attacks?" Jeremy asked, knowing that Nick was trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, I'm still looking into it. It seems like these attacks only happen once a month, and that the Mutt likes to pick people who aren't likely to be missed." Nick explained.

"Is that all you've been able to find out? I mean you have been looking into this for a few weeks." Jeremy wondered.

Nick shrugged his shoulders even though he knew that Jeremy couldn't see him. He had known Jeremy since he was a child and even though he knew that the Alpha would be disappointed that he did not have more information for him, he still felt bad about it. Jeremy Danvers had been his father, Antonio's, oldest and best friend and he was one of very few people who could make Nick feel bad or disappointed about anything.

"I've been looking into things Jeremy, I've been talking to a few of the people in the homeless communities in the areas where the people have been going missing, and they will keep an ear to the ground. I told them to let me know if anything happens. Sorry it's not much, but I have been dealing with things for the new club, so my time has been limited." Nick explained.

"Ah, so business is all that has you distracted. Or is it something else?" Jeremy asked.

"Yeah, just business." Nick said absentmindedly.

"Do I need to come down there or at least send Clay or Elena to help you?" Jeremy asked.

"Jeremy, there's no need for that at the moment. I can handle it. Besides, Clay is busy with a paper and Elena is working on her next showing." Nick answered.

"I just don't want these Mutt attacks to get out of hand. We need to find out who is behind this and put an end to it. I don't want anyone else finding out about this, you know what will happen if they do." Jeremy said.

"I know Jeremy, I'm working on it." Nick reassured rolling his eyes even though the Alpha couldn't see him.

Being a werewolf meant that he needed to be able to keep most of his life a secret, especially from any woman that he dated on the long term. While most of his kind were known to take human lovers from time to time, Nick always preferred to date a woman a couple of times and then move on. He always looked at Jeremy, Clay and even Logan with envy because they had found their mate, but he had decided that long term relationships were just not for him. It was safer that way. The women never expected much and he got to keep his secret in tact. This time was different though, Nick wanted more than one date with Lexi and he did not want to deal with the lecture from Jeremy about staying focused on pack business. He figured that if things progressed with Lexi the way that he hoped, he would cross that bridge when he came to it.

"Listen Jeremy, can we talk about this later, I need to leave shortly." Nick said suddenly glancing at the clock on the wall and noticing the time. He needed to get ready for his date with Lexi.