Chapter 6

3 months later:

"So Austin and Annie want to have dinner soon," Lexi said as Nick held the door open for the two of them to enter his apartment.

The two of them had been out looking for a birthday gift for Clay's wife, Elena. Lexi had offered to help since Amanda had no doubt told Nick about Lexi's ability to pick out gifts for people.

"Austin's the cop right?" Nick asked as he pulled out a bottle of wine from the fridge for them.

"Yeah, he works in the same unit as Pops. I've known him since college," Lexi explained.

"Ah okay, and Annie's the blond that I met at the club the night we met?" Nick wondered handing her a glass of wine.

"Yep, she and Austin have been together for a few years, they just got engaged," Lexi replied as she sipped her wine.

"So why do they want to have dinner?" Nick asked curiously.

"Why do you think? They want to get to know the guy who's had most of my attention for the last three months." Lexi answered with a smirk.

Over the last three months, Nick and Lexi had grown close and had been spending a lot of time together. It was almost to the point that Lexi was ready to introduce Nick to her family and the rest of her small circle of friends.

"Oh really? You've been bragging about me huh?" Nick grinned as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"A little bit." Lexi made a motion with her fingers. "Like maybe this much," she giggled.

"Oh that much huh, well how can I turn that down?" he asked teasingly.

"I guess you really can't, besides my family and my other friends might start thinking that I made you up or something. They're curious about you," Lexi replied as she stood on her tiptoes to wrap her arms around his neck.

Nick smiled and lifted her off of her feet and sat her on the counter.

"When do you want me to meet them?" he asked as he kissed her nose.

Just as Lexi was about to answer, her phone went off. She glanced down at it and smiled.

"Jessie just wanted to let me know that a family friend is giving her husband a retirement party this weekend, you could come with me and meet my family then. That is, if you are up for it?" She asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Nick asked in return.

"Well you would actually be spending an evening with a room full of cops, most who are friends with my dad, that can make most guys head for the hills," Lexi replied softly.

"Well I'm not most guys, and we both know I can't say no to you anyways," Nick smiled, pulling her in for a kiss.

"I was hoping that you'd say that," Lexi smiled back as she wrapped her arms around Nick's neck.

Meanwhile at Stonehaven, Jeremy was on the phone with Clay talking about a recent news report about a body being found.

"So there hasn't been any progress on the mutt? Why hasn't Nick called me to let me know? Jeremy asked as he spoke to Clay on the phone.

"Maybe he didn't want to say anything until there was something to report?" Clay reasoned coming to his friend's defense.

"I don't know, Nick's been preoccupied lately. Do you know if something's going on with him?" Jeremy wondered aloud.

"Not really, he seemed fine when I crashed at his place a few months ago, he's been having issues with the new club he's opening. It could be something going on with that." Clay responded.