Chapter Seven

The train is crowded. Every seat is occupied. I snatch one just as a man stands to exit. A window seat. There is a slot in the wall where I'm supposed to swipe my card. It would've taken me to wherever it says to. But I'm not going there. I carefully hide my marked arm with a grey sweater when people are close. But I get chances to look at it closer. I see what look like eyes among the waves. Or maybe it's flames. Sweeping, burning, flames. And horns like striking spears. What is it? An animal? Not like any I've ever seen. I puzzle over it until a stuttering old women takes a seat right beside me that has been empty for a heavenly hour. I sigh. She keeps talking about how she's going to see her grandson for his 10th birthday. I decide to humor her.

"Did you get him something special?" I ask as sarcastically as I can.

"Well yes." She pulls out a little black box. Her hands shake as she unlocks a latch. Inside is a tiny silver clockwork creature. With sharp looking wings, pointy claws, and long twisting horns. She smiles as she winds it up. A ticking, metalic sound hits my my ears. It's wings begin to move in a wave motion. My eyes pop and I peek at the marks.

"What is it?" She looks at me funny. "It's a clock dragon." My mark. Its a flaming Dragon. No wings, but horns and viscous teeth. The train halts and the women fiddles with the Dragon and the box. "Goodbye dear." She stumbles down the steps.

I look out the window. There are small houses in rows. Just like everywhere else. Where am I? I glance at the glowing sign above the exit. JIRTY. Never heard of it.  Just a small town far away from home.

By the  fifteenth hour I feel like I might die. My butt feels like stone. There's hardly anyone riding now. It's almost 11:30 p.m. I hunker down across three seats and attempt to sleep. But end up just watching the world go by through the windows.

1:15. The sign finally lights up with the right name. BERM CITY. I lift myself up and climb out of the train onto the dark empty platform. Not even the conductor bothered to stay up for this stop.

What I see surprises me. Not houses but skyscrapers. Huge, white and chrome. Everything animated and uniform. I gasp.

This is where the drones live.