{the switch}

This is one of my favorite chapters☺️ enjoy!

JxA

The next weeks that remained for the girls were a montage of finding out about each other. They showed each other the blueprints of their homes, introduced the people they would be interacting with everyday and the habits and basic house rules. Emmi was surprised to learn that her twin lived with her mothers brother and step brother and their mother whom they call: Nonna. Avia was shocked that in her fathers household he lived with his twin brother, and their friend and housekeeper Miley.

JxA

The entire camp was assembled for a screening of Father Of The Bride Part II, and naturally all the girls were laughing hysterically. All but two. Avia and Emmi were sitting in the middle of the crowd, whispering.

"But I never bite my nails!" Avia argued in a whisper.

Emmi sighed heavily. "But I always do!" She whispered back. "Daddy'll know!"

Her sister shook her head and sat on her hands, "I can't." She whispered stubbornly.

Emmi stared at her. "Want me to do it for you?" She asked, her voice dripping with condescension.

Avia rolled her eyes and reluctantly started chewing her nails.

JxA

It was after lunch and the twins were back at their cabin. Avia was sitting nervously on a stool clutching her hairbrush like it was a lifeline and looking at her terrified face in front of the mirror. Her brown curly hair, which fell halfway down her back, was going to be cut. Emmi told her that in order for their plan to pull through, they have to look alike and she knew that her twin was right. Although she really didn't like the idea of her hair being cut, she had to agree.

Emmi looked expectantly at her sister and gave her a reassuring smile, "Ready?" she asked and Avia closed her eyes and nodded, "Ready," she answered. Her twin went over to her drawer and pulled a big silver pair of scissors. She went over to her twin, measured a strand of her hair and positioned the scissors getting ready to cut.

"Don't shut your eyes!" a horrified Avia exclaimed. Emmi immediately opened her eyes.

"Oh right, sorry, I'm just a little nervous," she said sheepishly.

"You're nervous?! A ten year old is cutting my hair!" an incredulous Avia exclaimed with an Australian accent that didn't escape her twin's notice.

"Hey, you sounded just like me," she remarked happily and Avia smiled proudly.

"Well I'm supposed to, aren't I?" she said then, "Go ahead, just do it."

At her bequest, Emmi started cutting and soon, strands of Avia's hair were down on the floor. After about an hour or so, Avia stood in front of the mirror staring at her newly cut hair. It was exactly like Emmi's and she was amazed how they totally look alike now.

"This is so scary," she remarked touching her hair. Emmi appeared beside her and waved her hand, "Honey, you never looked better," she said in a New York accent that belonged to her sister and that she would have to use once they made the switch.

"Oh my God," she suddenly said and looked closer into the mirror while Avia watched worried.

"What?" she asked worriedly and her sister pointed at her ears.

"I have pierced ears."

"Uh, no - no, no, no and no; not happening! Sorry, wrong number, I won't. I refuse," she said stubbornly while Emmi crossed her arms and looked at the ceiling.

"Then cutting your hair was a waste of time. There's no way I could go to camp with pierced ears and then come home without 'em. I mean c'mon, get real," she chided.

Avia crossed her arms, almost in tears. Cutting her hair and biting her nails was one thing, but this? "This isn't fair. I've had to chew my nails, cut off my hair and now you want to punch holes in my ears?" She cried out. "You didn't have to do one thing to become me!"

Emmi grinned sheepishly. "Hey, can I help it if I'm a complicated woman with a look entirely my own?"

A match was struck and Emmi held a needle over it while Avia watched her with a petrified expression on her face. She was holding an ice cube underneath her earlobe and was currently wishing that she didn't have to undergo this painful process. She watched her sister approach her with a calm look on her face.

"Needle sterilized," she announced.

"Y-Y-You sure you know what you're doing?" Avia stammered.

"Relax, I've gone with all my friends who got their ears pierced and it's nothing. Just close your eyes and it will be over before you know it." Emmi assured like a professional businessman: suave.

"Earring ready?" she asked and her sister held up a silver earring as her reply.

"Good," Emmi nodded, "Hand me the apple," she ordered and was given the slice of green apple with a terrified whimper from her sister.

"Just relax," she repeated, "I'm telling you, this is not a big deal. On the count of three, remove the ice! One..." Emmi started.

"Two, Three!" the needle pierced Avia's earlobe and the ice cube was replaced with the slice of apple. Avia let out a bloodcurdling scream which was immediately followed by Emmi's own bloodcurdling scream.

Emmi fell to the floor, passed out a minute later. Avia, now wearing the earring, gently slapped Emmi's face trying to revive her. "Emmi, are you awake? Get up!"

Emmi opened her eyes and moaned in pain, sitting up with a hand on her head. "Are you bleeding to death?"

Avia rolled her eyes at her dramatic ways. "I'm fine. It didn't hurt at all. But I refuse to go through life with only one pierced ear." She held up the needle and smirked at her sister. "Back to work, darling."

Emmi took one look at the needle and passed out again.

"Emmi!"

JxA

It was the last day of camp and everyone was giving each other tearful goodbyes and promises of keeping in touch. Even the lost boy was giving assurances to his gaggle of new friends, which were of course, girls. Avia and Emmi both walked towards the entrance of the camp. The twins have already switched and both were ready to go their separate ways to meet the parents they've been dreaming all their life to meet.

"Ok, this is it." Emmi said breathlessly now wearing her sister's white sundress. Her sister had taken her hair and done twin French braids that Ariana taught her to do before leaving for camp.

"Ok remember, you're gonna find out how Mom and Dad met." Avia reviewed, wearing Jai's nylon jacket with a plain white tee underneath and blue jean shorts. And let's not forget her sisters Dirty Pigs hat. Her hair was left natural, her big brown curls cascading to just above her chest.

"And you're gonna find out why they broke up." Emmi finished.

"Avia Grande, your car is here." Marvas Jr. announced into the bull horn.

"That's you - here's your ticket and passport. Uncle Zac and Uncle Franke are going to pick you up at the airport," Avia hurriedly said pressing the ticket and passport to her sister's hand.

"What time do you leave?" a worried Emmi asked.

"Oh, not for a couple of hours," her sister answered, "Give Mom a kiss for me," she said.

"Give Dad one from me." Emmi said giving her twin a final hug.

"Last call Avia Grande!" Marvas Jr. announced again.

Emmi rushed to the car, received a hug from Marvas Jr. and climbed in. Marvas shut the door and patted the vehicle away as Avia watched with crossed fingers.

"Good luck," she said with a sigh and closed her eyes.

JxA

And they're off! Next chapter Emmi reunites with her mom!😊😊