Chapter 25 - Four Words

A/N - So it's been a VERY long time. I'm really sorry to everyone I disappointed by not carrying on this story and have decided to pick it back up now. I really appreciate all of the messages from people who shared their love of this piece with me and again am really sorry that I just stopped writing for such a long time. Anyways, here goes nothing.

With potions class a forgotten memory, Draco and Hermione walked the halls of Hogwarts and found themselves outside on the bridge that was rebuilt after the battle of Hogwarts. It had been less than a year that had passed, but it still felt like not a day had moved by. Part of Hermione thought that she would never be able to return to Hogwarts. After all, she was offered a position as an Auror, which was still waiting for her when she finished her year at Hogwarts. But another part of her knew she had to come back, because if she didn't then he would win. She vowed that Voldemort would no longer have any control over the lives of her and her friends. This is the sole reason that she, Harry and Ron all came back. Part of Hermione thought that this was the same for Draco. He had suffered just as much as them, though neither had particularly shared their true stories with one another. 

Draco placed his hand on Hermione's shoulder, almost as if he was agreeing with her train of thought.

'It's a strange feeling isn't it?' He said.

'What do you mean?' Hermione asked confused. He took his hand from her shoulder and gestured around them.

'Being back. Our lives a year ago compared to now. I don't know, I just feel like I don't know who I am anymore.' Hermione knew this feeling but too well and nodded in agreement.

'We'll figure it out. Together.' She stated.

'I wish I could take it all back you know, everything I did, or said that hurt you.' Hermione winced, knowing how much Draco meant what he was saying.

'It doesn't matter now. What matters is who you choose to be moving forward and I can already tell that I'm going to like that person.' She took his hand and walked forwards, Draco trailed behind her being led to wherever she was taking him. It didn't take long for him to realise where they were going.

'Hermione.. I...' Draco didn't even get the words out before Hermione placed a finger over his lips. They emerged from the bell tower into the clearing that looked over Hagrid's hut. Flashbacks of Draco and his friends who had come to watch the Buckbeak's execution filled his mind.

'Are you that same person now?' Hermione asked. Draco shook his head, no. 'Then none of it matters, not to me.' 

In that moment something changed inside Draco. Now was not the time, nor thee place but he couldn't stop himself in time to hold it back. Four words escaped his lips. Four words that would change his life forever.

'I love you Hermione.' His own look of shock reflected in Hermione's expression for a brief moment before she collected herself.

'I love you too, Draco.'