Chapter 9 - Realisation

Draco's POV

'Draco.' She whispered, before she fell into a deep unconsciousness. Even now, he got shivers down his spine when she said his name. He effortlessly carried her towards the hospital wing. The blood from her head was soaking into his shirt, staining it red. He half ran until they finally, after what seemed like forever, reached the hospital wing.

'Madame Pomfrey!' Draco shouted frantically as he carefully put Hermione down onto one of the beds.

A tired looking madam Pomfrey hurried over to the bed, assessing Hermione. 'Oh my!' She gasped, and immediately got to work. 'Vulnera Sanentur.' She said, repeating the words. The blood stopped coming from Hermione's head and the wound began to heal, before all together disappearing. Madame Pomfrey cleaned her up and Draco was relieved when she said that Hermione would be 'just fine'. It almost seemed too quick to be true.

He sat on the chair next to her bed and watched the slow rise and falls of her chest, as if they may be her last. The thought of her lying on the cold castle floor, covered in her own blood, made him feel sick. He couldn't even think about what he would have done if it were too late. Who could have done that to her? He thought to himself.

He pushed away the thoughts and focused on Hermione. Even now, weak and fragile, Draco still thought that she was beautiful. He realised that he could have lost her, and the thought was unbearable. He also realised in that same moment that he had feelings for her. It was a foreign concept to him to care about anyone other than himself, but it was undeniable that Hermione had changed him.

It was a long night. He sat, watching her, until he fell asleep. The next day, he didn't leave her side, he just waited for her to wake up. Harry had come to visit with Ron, whom he gave death glares until they left to go to their lessons.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Hermione's fingers twitching. Her eyes fluttered, desperately trying to stay open. He leant forward.

'Hermione?' He called quietly, squeezing her hand gently. She squeezed back, and he smiled with relief.

'D-Draco?' She said.

'I'm here.'

'W-what happened?' She looked frantically around the hospital wing as she sat up. 'How did I get here?'

'Urm...well... I found you on the ground last night, covered in blood. Your head was cut open, you almost died.' He explained. 'Do you remember who attacked you?' The room was silent as he watched her desperately trying to recall what happened. Her expression dropped. She clearly didn't remember.

'I don't know.' She said exasperated. 'I remember leaving the Gryffindor common room, but after that, everything is black. Draco frowned. 'What's wrong?' She looked genuinely concerned about him.

He wanted to tell her how he felt about her, but decided against it, knowing that she wouldn't feel the same way.

'Nothing, I'm fine.' He replied.

'Alright.' She was unconvinced but it was clear that he didn't want to tell her, so she let it go. Before she could say anything else, Madame Pomfrey burst through the doors.

'Miss Granger! You're awake. How are you feeling?'

'Better.' Was all she said.

'Oh, good! I'm glad. You can go to your common room whenever you feel up to it.'

Hermione was glad. 'Thank you.' She said politely.

She left the room again, not long after being followed out by Hermione and a worried looking Draco. He tried to convince her to stay in the hospital wing for a while longer, but she refused, being the stubborn person she is.

'Polyjuice.' Draco said, as they approached the common room. Snape sighed and the door swung open. He fiddled with his fingers, knowing he should probably just tell her how he felt. Instead he told her that she should rest, and the both of them went to their rooms.