avoidance [2]

It was too distracting!

From that event onward, you can't stay focused for more than 3 minutes. You can't quite put your fingers on what that had meant. But worrying too much over such a simple act was no good either. Your resolve was still firm, that you will keep Miyuki as little as you could in your day

In the blink of an eye, lunch came.
You went to hang out at your and Miyuki's usual bench, one beside the vending machine.

Wow, so much effort you've put into avoiding him, right?

But it was on him though for knowing such a comfortable spot for those that weren't in the mood for people, a spot that was perfect if you wanted it to be just you, and your thoughts. After all you've made a pact with yourself to get away quickly if the catcher were to appear.

For once, you bought a black coffee, hoping the bitterness would wash the conceited ideas that were popping on your head. Yet, it brought back more than it threw away, as Miyuki always picked this drink when buying one. That fact only was enough to put a smile on your face.

God you were whipped.

You sipped, your lips twitched into a tight line on reflect, the bitterness stung. Still, that felt good, you made a mental note to buy more of these later at some point. You held the can with both of your hand, putting them on your thigh. You leaned your body back, letting out a sigh that felt like it took years of your life.

Your mind had become so heavy again that you couldn't help but close your eyes. 

It's really scary, how a person could have so much control in one's life. There are so much things you could be thinking besides Miyuki Kazuya. But alas, minds seemed to have a heart of their own. 

"Is this school your bedroom or what?" An unwanted yet expected voice spoke with a familiar mocking tone. You slowly opened your eyes and got accustomed to the figure. "Finally up, princess?" Sarcasm dripped from his voice. 

Completely ignoring his remark, you stared at him. An undeniable sadness loomed over you all of a sudden. You thought about how out of reach he was, how out of league you were facing the genius, passionate, and the pretty guy. 

It was like a hard slap to the face.

How naive of you, to even let yourself believe this spark of hope inside you that Miyuki will actually liked you back. You pressed back those ideas so far into the back of your mind, burying it. 

Realizing you've been quite for too long, you got up from your seat then went to throw away your canned coffee. "Yeah, now I am. See you later, alligator," you said cheekily, finger gunning him. "Hmm, already? Don't you like my company so much?" A grin bloomed on his face, your heart ached. You turned away, facing to the backyard, looking at the people from the gardener club tending the plants with so much care. 

"Yeah, I really do." A genuine smile formed on your face, bringing your head to face him. He was taken aback by the response, as you would usually disagree with your whole gut and then the usual bickering started. Before he can say anything else, you brought back your gaze to the backyard and whispered,

"but I've given up."

"What?"

"Nothing! Well then see you later, Miyuki!"

You rushed off to go somewhere else, somewhere where he's not in your field of vision. Your head was getting full of him, you needed something else to keep you on ground. Something that's way more distracting than Miyuki, as impossible as it sounded.

-

From that day forward, you continued avoiding Miyuki. At first it was subtle, like you busied yourself with your other friends so the two of you couldn't speak to each other, and then on lunch time you would come to the backyard lesser, and when you did go to your usual bench, you would only stop at the vending machine to get a drink and made a small talk with him, you did not stay as per usual. You did not want your gesture came out so obvious that it made him question you.

It's been two weeks and you were mentally drained. It was like you did not get enough of the fuel only Miyuki can fill, It might have been empty for days. The difference it made on your days was the fact that you constantly felt a hard stare on your back. That was odd indeed, but you haven't got the energy to focus on other things.

Another day, another class ended. You grabbed your bag wanting to go straight home, but a suggestion popped into your mind that you should bought a canned black coffee. You wanted it because you still needed something 'Miyuki'. It wasn't at all about the taste.

When you were about to head out for the door, you heard the catcher's voice calling your name, so you did something any normal person would do when their name was called.

You pretended not to hear and made your way to the vending machine.

-

The cling of the can was a bit loud, as not a soul could be seen or heard that time of the day. You lower yourself to grab your drink, when you're standing up again, all of a sudden a hand went past only inches from beside your head, hitting the vending machine rather harshly, but not hard enough to harm anybody. You felt an unbearable strong presence behind, trapping you.

"Ignoring me, are we?"

Funnily enough, you could still hear the signature smirk over the menacing aura. At the same time the very same stare you've been getting for the past days was burning holes on the back of your head. A-ha, so that was him also.

You chuckled nervously.

"Somebody, help."