21

It's getting dark but Phillip says we're almost there.

As we pass a Walmart, a medium sized horde blocks the road ahead. A screamer, two bloaters, a feral and at least three plague zombies. It's too risky to pass through them; the truck could get damaged or one of the bloaters could explode and kill us. On top of that, we don't know how many zombies contract the airborne mutation which could be even worse than bloater gas.

"How are we tackling this, guys?" I whisper, slowing down the truck.

"I say we shoot the screamer and burst the bloaters with rocks or something - that'll save our bullets - and then the girls can take out the remaining zombies." Phillip suggests.

"Why should we do it?" Henrietta scowls, "You some kind of sexist?"

"What? No! You guys just aren't as injured as we are."

"Oh," She pauses, "alright then. I'm up for that plan. Princess?"

"I'm up for that." I say, already unbuckling my seatbelt.

Henrietta turns to Karen and asks, "And you, little firefly?"

"Sounds good to me."

After being passed a gun from Karen, Henrietta rolls down her door window and leans out enough to get a good aim at the screamer, which is wandering around aimlessly, its broken jaw dropped in permanent surprise.

She cocks the gun and waits for the perfect moment.

Since we don't have any rocks, I dig around in Lonnie's backpack for any trash I accidentally grabbed from the art classroom. I eventually find an old eraser, which will only burst one bloater.

"Hey, Henrietta, I've got to throw something but... I don't know if you want to keep it." I hold Lonnie's wallet behind my chair for her to look at.

"Why do you have my wallet?" She asks suspiciously, "Hey! That's my fucking backpack. Where did you get that from?"

I guess it wasn't Lonnie's after all.

"Your old art classroom. It was the only thing I could find. I thought it was Lonnie's actually."

"I mean, technically it is, she gave it to me," Henrietta explains, "Go ahead and throw it. Someone's stole my ph- I mean my debit card."

I feel around in my pockets until I find the photograph. I take the wallet from her and replace it with the photo.

Much to my surprise, Henrietta thanks me.

"Don't let that go to your head, princess." She warns.

Cautiously, I get out of the car, leaving the door open so I don't attract any attention by slamming it shut. With the wallet between my teeth and eraser in my hand, I slowly inch closer to the horde. I'm not great at throwing so I like to be as close as possible when trying to kill something.

The bloater closest to me bumps into the feral. Upon impact, the bloater's fragile skin bursts, releasing a cloud of poisonous green gas that reaches out towards the truck with its deadly fingers, obscuring my view of the horde.

"Shit..." I mutter.

With my view blocked, it's going to take a lot longer to kill the zombies as well as find Phillip's group, and with nightfall quickly approaching, I don't want to be out here much longer.

Henrietta tuts behind me and rolls her window back up.

Realising there's no point staying out here, I get back into the car, where the others are discussing where to go from here.