Unlike the last injection, this one is giving me side-effects. My skin is so itchy that it doesn't go away, no matter how much I scratch, and my bones ache immensely.  I'm pretty sure I'm growing taller and wider.

My nails scrape across my bloody skin as I try and relieve myself of this permanent itch that is making me crazy. Increasing the pace doesn't make a difference either; the itch isn't going away anytime soon.

Much to my annoyance, the feeling of being watched returns and eyes burn the back of my head.

"I know you're watching me," I yell, not even bothering to turn around, "You're a fucking asshole."

"Don't say that. If I wasn't here you wouldn't have anyone to talk to." He chuckles.

"I don't want to talk to you," I roll my eyes, "You're an asshole."

"And what about you, Trish?" His footsteps echo around the room as he walks around me, circling around me like a hungry vulture, "You aren't exactly an angel. I mean, you were a complete dick to your brother whilst you were growing up, you've treated your girlfriend like garbage for the past five years, you two almost got Tweek killed when your romantic candlelight sex session burned the base down... the list goes on."

"Fuck off, Kevin." I snarl.

Kevin laughs again. His laugh is irritating and I'd love to rip out his throat so he can't laugh ever again. I don't remember him being like this when he was alive.

He stops circling when he's directly in front of me then crouches down so we're face to face. The burned half of his face seems to glow in the darkness, each wrinkled line highlighted in orange. His eyes are pure black, skin grey.

"Tricia, you need to trust in him." He reminds me for the millionth time.

"Who?" I demand, "You keep saying this but you won't say who to trust! Fucking tell me!"

I go to grab his shirt to pull him closer to me, but my fingers slide right through him. Squeezing my eyes shut, I curl my hands into fists and scream. Screaming out of annoyance, pain, desperation. Fat tears slide down my bloody cheeks, dripping from my chin onto my lap.

A hand is all of a sudden on my shoulder and an arm wraps around my body. Golden locks tickle the back of my neck and my ears are greeted with the sound of soft singing, a song from my childhood.

"Mom?" I whisper, eyes snapping open.

Smiling, my mom nods. She looks exactly like I remember, before she got infected and ugly. She's truly beautiful, with long blonde hair and gorgeous brown eyes with flecks of gold that I wish I had inherited. All of her tiny details are there, like the dimple on her left cheek, the uneven thickness in her natural eyebrows, her Rosacea on her cheeks... it's like she's actually here.

"You can get through this, sweet heart," She whispers, wiping my cheeks with her cold hand, "He will be here soon."

"Who, mommy?" My lower lip wobbles and I tear up again, "The scientist?"

With a slight smile, she shakes her head.

"Do I know him?"

There's a thud from outside from the lab assistants. They'll be inside in a matter of seconds, meaning mom will vanish like they always do.

"Mom, do I know him?" I ask again, trying to get some more information out of these stupid hallucinations and to make her stay as long as she can.

"He loves you very much..." She whispers, running the tip of her finger across my jawline, "And so do we."

"We?"

"Me and your dad. We miss you so much, baby."

Her finger reaches my chin, which is wet from the amount of tears gathering there, and pauses. Her smile is weakening.
My lip wobbles again and she rubs her thumb along it, delicately tracing along the lines and scars, ticking my skin.

"Mom, please don't go." I whimper, voice crackling.

Another bang from outside. Panicked, mom looks to the door then back to me. Her hands grab my shoulders and she roughly pulls me so I'm facing the door directly.

"These people are evil. They're setting you up for death and I can't let it happen to you. Always fight back. Never stop fighting back," she shakes my shoulders and my entire body wobbles, weak and pathetic, "even if it means you die. You can't let them get you."

"I can't, mommy. I haven't eaten in so long and they keep giving me these injections. I think I'm dying."

Eyes flickering down, she catches me scratching at my skin again. She grabs my wrist and pulls it above my head.

"Fight back." She reminds me.

The door opens. She's gone.