Chapter 2 | The First Prophecy

Chapter 2| The First Prophecy  her ears will reflect the light of a billion stars

her ears will reflect the light of a billion stars

SOORAYA'S LAUGHTER WAS A SOFT, MELODIC ring to Liyah's ears. The older woman just could not help but stifle a laugh at her granddaughter's clumsy tale. Just earlier, the thoughts of a reckless palace guard or a filthy street rat laying a hand on her hayati caused panic to flow her veins, however, the younger girl was quick to clear the air. Soraya had eventually come to learn of how Liyah Mahmoud ended up on the floor of the palace.

"It's those horrid, western shoes," Soraya clicked her tongue in disapproval at her granddaughter's white sneakers. Liyah scrunched her brows in confusion when her grandmother removed the soothing ice pack from her cheekbone and walked towards a chest. Soraya rummaged through the dark, wooden piece of furniture before she retrieved a pair of sandals.

"These will do you good," she placed with leather shoes in Liyah's laps before resuming her position with the ice . "It belonged to one of the handmaidens that lived with me."

"She won't mind me wearing it?" Liyah asked as she ran her thumb across the tan-colored fabric. It was simple sandal design, one that mirrored those of the sandals sold in the bazaar outside the palace. The shoes seemed almost new, as if the previous owner's feet hadn't touched it at all.

"She won't be returning anytime soon." The older woman shook her head, but suddenly stopped after a thought popped into her head. She ran her eyes over Liyah's frame before returning to the chest, "You and Dalida are about the same size and all of her clothes seem to just collect dust in my home. You're free to take it if you'd like."

Soraya gathered a few garments in her hand and placed them in a neat pile next to Liyah. The younger girl smiled courteously, however, there were still a thousand and one thoughts racing through her mind.

The report had stated that Soraya Zoghbi was terminally ill– the last few weeks of her life hanging by a thread. She was in dire need of assistance. Her health was worsening as the days spilled into nights, yet, there she was: with a glowing smile on her face as she attended to her granddaughter's minor wound.

It didn't make sense. Not the palace, not the reports and certainly not her grandmother's jolly attitude.

Soraya could almost sense the wheels turning in Liyah's head. Her lips were spread in a thin line and fists subconsciously clenched each time she tried to her think of a possible explanation. Liyah parted her lips to speak when Soraya beat her to it, "I know you want to ask me why, but, let us rest today. Questions later, habibti."

Liyah hesitated at first but slowly found herself nodding in agreement. Soraya smiled sweetly at the girl and took a step back. Soraya savored the moment, absorbing every inch of Liyah's taller stature. There was no doubt that Liyah had grown into a beautiful young woman. But while her the rest of her facial features matured, she still seemed to possess large, child-like eyes.Those eyes held a certain warmth that comforted Soraya in ways that the girl wouldn't know.