Chapter 21 | The Crows Know (please read author's note)

hi guys! PLEASE DON'T SKIP THIS AUTHOR'S NOTE :)

Firstly: I know this update is like 80 million years late, but second semester of med school hit kinda hard lmao. Actually it hit real hard. I'll try my best to complete (as I definitely want to finish Liyah, Rayan and Farrah's story) but my schedule has become increasingly and insanely tight so really can't update as much as I would like to anymore. I definitely want to finish it and will finish it (God willing), but just not at the speed that 17 yr old me could last year :( I also had no idea that I would get like like 8k views when I started writing this for fun in high school nor did I think that so many people would read this, so thanks for your patience and support.

Secondly: A lot has taken place globally since the last update and while you're here and reading Desert Reigns, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the websites listed in my bio. Black lives, Lebanese lives, Pakistani lives, Palestinian lives, Yemeni lives, Kurdish lives, Syrian lives, Zimbabwean lives, Somali lives and South African lives matter and through signing petitions, making yourself aware and donating to trusted sources, we can all do our part in changing society. ❤️

If you have any more links, petitions and info that you'd like to share then please feel free to pm me so that I can add it.

Thanks once again for reading!

Chapter 21 | The Crows Know there are treasures within the letters

there are treasures within the letters. they know

LIYAH DUG THE HEELS OF HER LEATHERY SANDALS INTO THE SAND GRAINS. The festivities of the night had simmered down and all that was left was the deep, onyx-tinted sky and the lingering constellations. Her skin soaked in the richness of the moonlight and stardust as she leaned against her tent. She squeezed her palms against the beige satin covering her thigh. The photograph was tucked carefully between the flesh of her henna-stained palms and the soft material.

The young girl scrunched her eyebrows in frustration. The two familiar faces in the picture circled her through every inch of her head. She knew the faces. She had seen the faces, yet the date engraved on the photograph led her to believe otherwise.What connection did Sheikh Imran have to those men? How could they can been alive in the 1800s? Had she read the numbers wrong?

"Ya Liyah," Farrah poked her head out of the canvas, "It has been a long night. Why don't you rest?"

"Yeah, I am." Liyah tore her eyes away from the flickering light of the stars and nodded her head, "I just need some time to clear my head. That's all."

Farrah swept her raven-black tendrils behind her ears as she took a step towards the younger girl. The grin, that Liyah had woken up with, had somehow faded away. Her eyes were trained on the sky above them and her dainty hands were gripping onto the threads of her dress, as if she had been hiding a hundred year old secret. The younger girl seemed to be drowning in a sea of her own thoughts.