Chapter 22 | Intertwined With Frankincense

*unedited chapter - meaning that I didn't proof read anything and just said publish lmfao*

Thank you sm for all the comments, votes and support on the book. I honestly didn't expect it and I appreciate every single comment and vote.

I've been really inconsistent in updating (I know, I know). I haven't really felt like myself lately and I don't really wanna write something half-heartedly. I also haven't  been practicing my writing skills and it has definitely deteriorated a lot, so I don't wanna just update consistently bc I know that it'll defs be a shitty and rushed update. I just want to put something out there that is of a good quality, I guess.

Med school has been pretty tough this year so thanks for being so patient! (no pun intended)

Much love!

Chapter 22 | Intertwined With Frankincensesecrets lie intertwined in the knots and resin of the frankincense tree

secrets lie intertwined in the knots and resin of the frankincense tree

LIYAH STUFFED THE LAST PIECE of bread into her mouth before the maiden could bring her another tray of food. She hastily brought her hands to her mouth and gulped down the olive oil-drenched flatbread, "Khalas, aanesa. Khalas."

"La," the woman chuckled and swung her hips towards the younger girl. She carefully placed the tray of Badawi delicacies in front of the girl,  "I have prepared all this food especially for you, ya habibti. Yallah. Eat."

"Oh dear Lord." Liyah muttered under her breath before she began to vigorously shake her head. Like a sultry belly dancer of the night, the woman shimmied down to Liyah's level and placed another tray of stuffed dates, flat bread and imported fruits onto the girl's lap. An amused laughter bubbled from Liyah's chest, "I'm not going to be able to squeeze out of this dress after tonight."

She licked the residue of the herbaceous, golden liquid off her lips, before she pushed the tray towards the maiden, "Why don't you share this with the others tomorrow. Please."

Long after Liyah had parted ways with Farrah,  she discovered that the Badawi cooks, sauntering in and out of the festival tents, had already cleared out their pots of leftover maqlouba and sweet, sticky tamr. The girl would have turned around and retreated to her tent with the princess, but a warm, bright light flickering in the distance had caught her eyes.

All the cooks and maidens were asleep, weren't they?

She found it quite peculiar that a single lantern had been burning so brightly at that hour. The girl ventured further towards the tent and quickly realized that one of the maidens where still wide awake under the moonlight of the night. Victory had coursed through Liyah's grumbling stomach when the maiden instantly rushed to her aid.

"Tamam," The older female grinned broadly and took the tray into her frail hands, "I shall bring you a cup of arak to settle your food, ya habibti."