Dinner and a What?

My fingers traced the desk as I spoke freely to Dr Candelario as she spoke kind words of her patients that had been taken care of. Some not making it to the end of the day and there was still some time for someone else to be unfortunately lost but as she came to an end Goodwin appeared behind me. Listening for a second to interrupt. Fortunately he was given the chance by Candelario as she questioned his motives.

"Sorry, Venus and myself are headed out together so please continue. We have a while." She went to make a reply and judging by the look on her face it would be sarcastic when her pager went off and she had to give a sorry goodbye. Allowing the pair of us to leave for my house. Which he seemed apprehensive of and I knew something was up. Still though we walked and got to the car. An awkward silence smothering the pair of us until I silenced the radio and spoke to him.

"You know, it wouldn't be as quiet and awkward if you just told me what this is all about. I mean, I can't think of the last time or even if this has ever happened before to me." The radio was quiet and also faint as it was turned back on by him. Luckily it was a quick drive though and so as we pulled up my front door was opened quickly and suddenly. Only for him to walk in and find my sofa. Sitting and then I walked in and sat on the other chair. A single chair sat on the other wall but relatively close to where he sat.

My phone was pulled out and I replied to the few messages that had been sent to me. Not much but the phone gave me quite the reason to become occupied with it for a second before I dropped it and looked up. Just at the same time as Goodwin.

"So, it is dinner time. What do you want to eat? I have the ingredients for some nachos or I can make up some pasta dish. I have to do my weekly shop in a couple of days. Or tomorrow actually so not much but I don't mind what you want to eat." He didn't make a reply as he stood and placed a hand out for me to take.

After a look and some hesitation I took it and he led me to the kitchen. He was quick to work out my floor plan from only two visits but none of my doors were ever closed so that was completely expected of him to do. Though I hadn't thought of it.

"We can make nachos. I mean, you would have to gather the ingredients as I am at a loss but go for it and I will follow along like a loyal puppy." My eyes glanced around, checking for where things may be but I didn't have a clue so I would have to search just as he would have to. Though I knew that I had them all.

I placed down the food and looked at him as he got the hint and began to take the food and prepare it for nachos but he also seemed to know what was what so I took the chance to run up the steps and go to my room. Sending a backwards message of being a minute.

My room was tidy as always. Not that I was a neat freak but it is easy to keep a room clean when it is all laid out for maximum efficiency and when no-one is ever home. Over half my time was at the hospital so I only washed and dressed at home. Even then if I was running late I would change at work if I could. Not a moment later though I found some comfortable clothes and changed.

By the time I had returned the sauce was being added and I stepped in. Turning on the oven and then grating the cheese that we would be needing for the top. His hands finding the pile and taking it as it was needed. Until finally we had finished and the tray was placed in the oven. Not much being said as we carried out the actions and finished the final dish to eat.

"So, you going to talk now? Or is your throat sore? If so, we can use sign language or you could just you know, make it clear." His smirk came at my unchangeable persistence. Something I always had and there was no doubt about that. The smile was a cheeky one that lasted until we approached the front room.

The sofa was soft and an eggshell blue matching the accent wall and TV stand. The arm chair was empty and also white to stand out against the blue wall as the blue stood out from the white wall. Small things like that made me smile as I looked at how I had laid out the room for me to enjoy. Not that I had much, if any time to enjoy it as I tidied it of dust and left to go about my life.

"Venus, I um, I was wondering how are you? I am sure you are excited to talk to Frome tomorrow and we have a lot to talk about for work. The floor is in for uh time. Yeah." He stalled so hard that I felt bad for him. Though, I just wanted to know that he was safe and healthy.

"Dr Goodwin. With all due respect if you don't want to tell me what is going on then you have a right to but, I am only doing this so you know that I am here and if anything is wrong then let me help you. If I tell you a little secret you have to keep it. All right? I am paid to make sure people are happy and healthy. No matter who they are. Don't tell anyone or I might have to tell them that you are too." He smiled but it was a sad one. Like he was upset and I let out a deep breath. Trying to sort my thoughts out to make sure that he was going to be all right.

"You know," his thumb met my chin as a hand was rested on his face. Elbow leant on the back of the chair. The cussion moving to allow for the arm that he laid on it. Still though I listened to what he had to say and very closely. My ears tuned and my eyes meeting his readily as he carried on,
"Max is my name. Not Goodwin or Dr. I mean if that is what you like to be called, Dr Waters though, go for it but I am Max. I'm not English like you." He was one that seemed to push everyone to the edge of life as he drew me in with his words and wound me up. Teasing me.

"Watch it Dr Goodwin or I might have to serve you the dryest and most flavourless nachos in the world and I won't let you have a drink either." He gave me the evils as I smiled up at him but quickly the timer went off and I stood up. Preparing to serve the food but he walked in behind me. Searching the draws and cupboards until cutlery and plates were heard. A pair of glasses too.

"I don't drink so I have no alcohol but, I might have some juice in the fridge. I eat at the hospital most days so not much in the house and I don't like juice." He didn't make any sound but ran the tap. Slowly filling up the cups and then he appeared at my side with the plates and cutlery. He was quick to take the spatula and serve us up the food as I was left just to watch. His voice never being heard at all.

By the time our food was fully prepared and served for us both I had sat on the side but as I went to jump down he pushed me back up and handed me the plate. Allowing me to eat. No forks either so I would have to get my fingers dirty and so would he. Clearly the cutlery had been put back as I had heard it at one point.

"Thank you. Now, why did you want to have a meal with me? I think that you wanted to see my house or see me in an unusual setting for you. I see how it is. You strike me when I feel my guards are down." He laughed at my poor attempts to lighten his mood and for a second he seemed to frown.

"I just wanted to see you in some tiny shorts that have a bow on the front. Poor tying skills though and a white top with short sleeves. All of my dreams are now fulfilled." His sarcastic remark on my attire was quickly returned and I kneed him slightly. Though it was difficult on a side.
"This countertop is well kept. Barely used?" My lip was pushed as my tongue ran on the inside of it to show my disbelief.

"My my. Quite the connoisseur tonight. What has happened to the man who usually can't even tell if I am absent or not? I mean, what has happened to stir such a response from you? Like my white socks do you?" We had both finished our food by the time we had finished our unexpected conversation and so as I jumped down we walked to the living room. Empty as it was we lit it up with lights as the night grew to be dark.

"Venus, I have been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma." With three words I felt like he was just a little boy. Someone who was scared and there was nothing I could do to help him. He was a man set on what he hoped for and a massive set back brought him to the ground all in a second as well.

My hand met his cheek despite his massive height and my little one. His eyes looked me over and I fell to his chest. Holding him close whilst his arms moved around me eventually, resting on my back as I pulled myself closer to him. Trying to stop pain of any kind but I couldn't.

"How can I help you?" Was all I asked as we stayed in the structured position. Though the words seemed to stir him as he pulled me to rest on his legs. Our bodies mingling as our skin made contact in a few places. Nothing too serious.

No response seemed to come from him and so I pulled back to speak properly with him about what could happen and how I could make it better and even easier. To lighten the load if he would let me,
"I can come with you to appointments or you can come and see me afterwards if you prefer. I will be at your side for the rest of this journey until you are better. Unless you don't want me to and I will step to the side and back. I just won't let you go through all of this alone. Nobody should." As I spoke he smiled at me and his hands held mine.