Pillow Talk.

I had just placed the car keys down when arms got to rest around my waist. His head rested on my sore shoulder but it didn't seem to hurt as he was gentle and careful. It felt like old times had returned as the memories of the last time he had been there sprung to mind and I thought about it. Goodwin was a man I liked to be with.

"Dinner. I am starving." I finally spoke and he just silently laughed. His body was pulled close to mine and I could feel the jiggle of his body against me and it was slightly charming and a major turn on. It didn't seem appropriate to feel that way though. Not when we were only supposed to be friends.

"What do you want?" He asked and I picked up my phone. I knew what he liked for takeout and so all I had to do was speak. After a second on the phone it was ordered and we headed into the living room.

"Awfully presumptuous." I winked and sat down as he sat beside me. We were good friends and that was worth more than gold. Something I had taken for granted as well.

"No, I just know you. Now we can talk as well. How is the Nutella? I'm sorry for not asking sooner but it hasn't been right. If mother taught me anything about life it was how to get away with an affair and that Nutella should always be discussed in person." He laughed but it was true and so I waited for his response.

"My cancer is getting worse but, I am being treated and now you are free from previous controls I also have another friend back. I missed you and I am sure you missed me." He was joking and serious as he spoke. A tenderness I hadn't expected.

"I did miss you. To tell you the truth, I spent most of the last month texting you and then deleting it just as I wanted to send it. When he kissed me all I could see was you, feel you and I compared him to you. Don't think I am lying either." As Max went to reply the door went and I got up. It had been paid for on the app so all I had to do was take the food and I did. It smelt amazing. I took it and placed it between us on the sofa.

"So I'm better?" I fished out the food with a smile on my face but I kept my face down and my hair quickly covered my face but when he tilted my chin up he could see the smile.

"Yes. You were. He was too rough but I should have expected that from him." I didn't like this topic so, I tried to think of a new one but came up short. Surely he could save it. The silence told me otherwise. It was a quick dinner and as soon as we had eaten we then brushed our teeth and headed to bed. Max making a comment about the use of a manual toothbrush.

"Where should I sleep?" He asked seriously and I had to think. I would feel safer with him in the bed with me but he may have felt uncomfortable.

"Either my bed or the spare room. It doesn't matter to me." He agreed and we walked into my room. I felt safer with the knowledge of him being there with me all night. Alec couldn't hurt me when Max was there. Alec never hurt me when someone else could see it, unless it was a subtle thing.

"Goodnight Goodwin." His hand moved over me as I cuddled into his chest. The darkness surrounding me as tired eyes closed.

I woke up in a sweat and checked the time. It wasn't even midnight but it felt like I hadn't slept in years but as I went to lay down again Max held me tight against him.

"Bad dream?" He asked and slightly pushed at my top that sat loosely around my torso. He was only in a pair of boxers.

"Yeah." I mumbled and laid as the little spoon in the equation.

"Did you have bad dreams before? I mean, in the last few months. Actually, what dreams did you have?" He was grumbling a little but he did care for me and I could see that. Little did he know what I really had dreamt about.