Chapter 11: Beyond Rei's Heart

Welcome back! You guys all know what's happening. Shinji really meets Rei here (and I mean really meets her), and the Fifth Angel begins its approach!

-.-

August 9th, 2015

The glare of the early morning sun shone through the foggy clouds as Shinji made his way through the deserted streets of Tokyo-3, why he decided to come to Rei's place to deliver her new ID at the crack of dawn was a mystery to him. But he was already out, so why stop now.

Coming into the street where Rei lived, Shinji glanced up. The building that sat there was a complete mess. No sense of cleanliness or order were seen. Simply put, the place looked like it was going to be torn down any day now. No person, would ever want to actually live here.

"This place looks like a dump!" Sachiel commented as he floated beside Shinji, opting to go for a smaller size today. Shamshel was too dumbfounded to even comment. Shinji just glanced warily at the staircase, before slowly making his way towards it. Heading towards the 4th Floor, just as he had been instructed.

Reaching room 402, he glanced up. The door was just as bad as the building, but only time would tell what the inside of the apartment looked like. Convinced that this was where Rei lived. (And it was not because there was the name Ayanami in the slot above the door) Shinji stepped forward and tried the doorbell.

"There's no sound."

"Thanks, Shamshel." Shinji replied sarcastically, before knocking instead. Nothing happened.

"Maybe she's having a shower?" Shamshel stated glancing at the door. "Maybe that's why she couldn't hear you."

"Hope not." Shinji replied, trying one more thing. The Door Handle. Pulling on it, the handle moved normally. The door was unlocked.

"That's not a viable solution to anything." Shamshel commented as Shinji opened the door and peeked inside. The apartment wasn't much better than the building itself.

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Shinji commented to himself, before speaking up. "Excuse me? Rei? Sorry for intruding. It's me, Shinji Ikari." Nothing happened. Taking a deep breath, Shinji entered the apartment, letting the door shut behind him. "Damn it all. I'm coming in, alright..." Shinji removed his shoes, and stepped into the apartment.

Walking through the hallway Shinji noticed one thing. The apartment was extremely small, and extremely barren. In the small bedroom, only a desk sat, along with a rickety bed. On the bed was Rei's uniform, what seemed to be the only clothes she actually owned. Oddly, the pillow had patches of dried blood on it, with a box in the corner full of bloodied paper. One window was in the room, through which the early morning sunlight shone through. Glancing around, Shinji was appalled, the state of the place was an absolute wreck. While glancing around, something caught his attention, a pair of glasses on the desk.

"These can't be Rei's glasses." Shinji commented as he wandered over to them, on closer inspection, the glass had cracks in it, and the entire frame looked slightly melted. Putting them on, Shinji stood for a moment.

"You look like your father, Shinji." Shinji frowned at Sachiel before his attention was torn elsewhere. The sound of a curtain being pulled away was heard. Freezing, Shinji turned towards the sound, where Rei stood, a towel wrapped around her shoulders. Beside him, Sachiel started buzzing with glee, while Shamshel just stared at his brother, confused.

Stopping from drying her hair, Rei let the towel drop around her neck, covering her modesty as Shinji tried to explain himself. "Rei... I..." Rei stared at the boy, before stepping forward, a somewhat angry expression on her face. "I didn't mean to..." Rei stepped right towards Shinji, using her hand to take the glasses of his face. In the process, Shinji lost his balance, sending both himself, Rei, and one of the draws in the desk sprawling to the floor.