17. Knock Knock

Athena's p.o.v

I can't breathe.

I sit up in the hospital bed and pray that Lucian minds his own business and stays out of mine. I can't think about throwing everything away, again. 

"Knock knock." A voice says and I jump.

"Athena?" The nurse asks me and I look at her.

"Are you okay?" The older woman asks me and I nod slowly.

"Great, you're being discharged." The woman says smiling and I am at a loss for words.

"Just an hour ago I had a fever." I told her in confusion.

"Your mother just signed you out." The woman told me.

"My mom?" I ask her. I thought she didn't care.

"Yes, Amelia?" The woman asked.

"Yeah that's her." I told her and she smiled and unplugged my I.Vs and handed me my old, dirty clothes. I'm sure I looked like a mess but I couldn't worry about that right now.

"You can use the shower in the bathroom if you would like." She tells me and leaves the room.

I switch on the hot water and still felt exhausted and a bit dizzy. I let the steaming water wash over me and hissed in pain as the water hit my injury, I then drifted into thought. I wash my hair with their tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner and knew that this would do my hair no justice but hey desperate times call for desperate measures. I cleaned my body being careful of the stitches in my side. 

I quickly wrapped a towel around my body and tried to dry my hair with paper towels. I splashed some cold water on my face to try and wake myself up. My face was pale and flushed. I stumbled into my room and saw that there was a fresh pair of grey sweat pants and tee shirt on my bed. They were my clothes. My mom must have brought them for me. I decided to toss my favorite maroon sweater in the trash since there was now a huge tear and stained beyond repair. I put the clothes on and put my hair into a big bun. It was then that I heard shouting.

"What room is she in?" A familiar voice yelled. It was Lucian.

I stepped outside my door and saw him clutching his hand. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask him angrily.

"You're okay." He says in disbelief.

"They're discharging me." I tell him and he shakes his hand. I reach out for his hand and see it covered in blood.

"What the hell happened?" I asked him. There was a large gash along his hand.

"Long story." He tells me and a nurse comes running to us.

"You'll need stitches." She tells him and guides him to another room. 

"Don't go anywhere." Lucian orders me and for some reason I obey. I really want to know what happened to his hand.

I follow them into a hospital room as the woman pulls out the stitching supplies. She gives him a shot of Novocain in his arm and he doesn't even flinch.

"What happened?" I ask him again and he stays silent. 

"You two wait here for the doctor." The nurse tells us as she leaves.

"So?" I ask Lucian.

"Your mom wouldn't let me in to see you, she wanted me to give you a message though. Contradiction I know." He tells me.

"Whats the message?" I ask taking a deep breathe.

"She said that she is sorry and that what she is doing is for the best." He tells me and I don't say a word. 

"She was probably high or something." I told him and he shook his head.

"She seemed pretty sober." He tells me sadly.

"Why were you coming to see me?" I ask him and he smiled evilly.

"Because Antoinette, we have some things to discuss." he says and my stomach drops. He knows.

As I was about the run out the doctor comes in. I sit there quietly with my mouth open and eyes widely.

This is it, I have to run. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucian stays silent throughout his hand being stitched up and I don't dare speak. When its all done the doctor says a bunch of things to Lucian but I can't hear anything. I just see his lips moving.

Lucian gets up and looks back at me.

"You coming or not?" He asks me and I stand up slowly. Why are you trusting him? I ask myself and honestly have no answer. 

We walk past the front desk in the lobby but a man at the front desk stops me. 

"Athena?" The man asks. The name seems so wrong now.

"Yes?" I ask myself and he hands me my old ratty backpack.

"A woman dropped this off for you." He tells me and I thank him. 

It has a note attached to it.

My dearest Antoinette,

I am sorry but I cannot do this any longer. I am going back to Quebec, where I belong. Your secrets is safe me, your father will not know where you are. You are a liabilty that I just can't afford. Tate is at the Amherst Prison, you should visit him, he still loves you and will be out soon. This is for the best. I am sorry.

-Mom

No "I love you" no "goodbye".

She has left me for good just like everyone else. I am alone in this huge city, I can't afford the apartment. I'll be living on the street not going to college. I was a fool for thinking I couldn't start over, I can never escape everything that has happened. My own mother no longer cares about me, I am a liability she can't afford. 

I open the bag to see my laptop, my house key, a change of clothes and my paints. 

"What is that?" Lucian asks. I can't even look him in the eye. He probably knows everything, everything I have done.

"She's gone." Is all I can manage and he takes the note from my hand, I can't even try and fight him. 

"This must have been what she was talking about." He says in relief.

"This is relieving?" I ask him angrily. His jaw clenches and I know he doesn't like being yelled at, he likes being the big tough guy but right now that has to stop. His ego has most likely ruined my life. I am sure my mom found out that he was suspicious and decided to ditch me. This is his fault.

"My life is over, I might as well be dead!" I shout at him. 

"Who is Tate? What is Tate?" He asks. What a peculiar question but there is only one answer.

"Worse than you." I tell him as I melt to the floor.