25. In for life

My chest burned inside and out. I wanted to scream for help or just scream in frustration but I decided against it.

"She's allergic to gold." Lucian growled at Jay and Jay cowards back. Contemplating what to do I assume.

Lucian had no way of knowing that unless he found my medical records.

"How was I supposed to know that?" Jay asked while he grabbed my arm this time softly. I guess he didn't want to hurt me anymore then he already did. I prayed he would let me take the necklace off but he made no attempt.

"We have to get to class." Jay said as he pulled me down the hallway. I knew Lucian hated me but he wasn't even going to try to find out what happened?

As we entered the classroom I followed Jay to the back of the room where I usually sat anyways. I took the seat next to him and waited for class to begin. I could feel Jay watching my every move. His eyes wandered to my now bright red chest and the flesh that was now scarring. I tried my hardest not to rip the chain right off but instead adjusted my sweater so it could shield my chest. My skin burned with every touch.

As class began I saw Lucian through the doorway, staring back at me. His face was stone cold as one of his friends spoke to him. He kept his eyes focused on me but then turned away. I focused my attention to the teacher at the front of the class.

As the day went on my chest began to burn more and more. I new it was scarring by now and I felt the fire burning all the way towards my arms and down my ribcage. If I didn't get this thing off of me I don't know what will happen. When my last class was over I walked out of the classroom only to be met with Lucian.

"Athena." Is all he said. I looked around and saw Jay with narrowed eyes. He was stalking to a blonde girl. He wasn't coming over because he was testing me.

I said nothing as I tried to turn away.

"Stop ignoring me." He said as he grabbed my arm tightly and spun me around. I could see Jay was done with his conversation with the random girl. I wanted to say something or jump into his arms but what could would that do?

"You have to take that necklace off." He said as he reach for the chain but I pulled away.

"Stop!" I said loudly and he looked shocked.

"That can't be comfortable." He said as he reached for it again. This time I dodge him and run towards Jay.

Jay smiled and nodded as we walked down the hallway. I didn't turn back, I couldn't bare to see Lucian.

"Can I take this off please?" I whispered.

"No." Jay said still smiling.

"Please." I pleaded but he shook his head. He looked at me and then my chest.

We walked out of the school with his friends and they all talked amongst themselves. I couldn't breathe, my whole body burned and I began to scratch at my neck. My breathing became hard. If I had a tank top on I could rip my sweater off and let the rash breathe but for now I dragged my feet as we climbed the apartment stairs.

"Party tonight at Eve's" one of the boys told Jay.

"For?" Jay asked

"Halloween, it's lame but hey any excuse to drink is fine with me." The boy said. I had almost forgotten that tomorrow was Halloween.

Contrary to popular belief we used to celebrate Halloween in Quebec and I always loved it. I would never dress up with my friends or go to a kiddish party but I loved watching my siblings get all dressed up and come back later at night with pillow cases full of candies. It was my favorite holiday.

"Athena." Jay said snapping me out of my thoughts. I didn't respond but instead looked at him to let him know I acknowledged what he said.

"We are going to that but you're staying." He told me and I drew my attention back to how badly my skinned burned.

"Wait are you for real?" One of the boys asked.

"Yeah come on let her go." Another one said.

"Hell I'll babysit her if you want." The guy who brought up the party said. I had a bad feeling about this but kept my mouth shut.

"Fine." Jay said and I don't know if my heart dropped or swarmed with butterflies.

"It starts at 9 so we'll be there around 10." Jay said. I just hoped I wouldn't fall asleep, I didn't trust these boys.

Jay unlocked the apartment door and I ran into and straight to the bathroom. I ripped my sweater off immediately and was met with a horrible sight. My torso was red and blotchy. I found a face cloth and used cold water to try and smooth my skin but it didn't help. Without thinking I walked into the living room with on my black bra and leggings on. I heard the conversation stop and the boys attention close in on me.

Before anyone could comment Jay ripped the necklace off from around my neck and I could feel my skin ease up a bit.

"Jesus." Was all he said. I reached into my bag to try and get something to cover up.

"Don't you dare put a shirt on, you have to let that have some air." He told me. I didn't protest but attempted to use my arms to shield my chest and torso.

The blonde boy crouched down beside the couch and pressed his finger to my chest and I winced in pain.

"Fuck, I guess you're really in for life." He said as his finger traced the scar on my chest.

If I wasn't so terrified of all of them I put have broken his finger by now but I bit my tongue. I could see that Jay felt guilty about making me wear the chain for so long.

"Good." Is all the blonde said with a wink as he went down the hall.

So there I sat, on the couch, in my bra with my legs to my chest trying not to cry or yell or both. The boys words rang through my head,

In for life.