19. Too many questions

We sat in silence as tears flowed down my cheeks.

"We have to talk." Lucian said and I didn't respond. My whole life was falling apart in front of my eyes.

"I know everything Antoinette." He told me.

"Don't call me that!" I snapped at him. He couldn't possibly understand.

"It's your name, your real name that is." He stated as if I didn't know that.

"What happened I mean what are you hiding from?" He asked me and turned my body and watched him drive.

"You don't have to live in secretly Lucian, you wouldn't get it, you don't know what it feels like." I told him and he glanced at me and then back at the road.

"I know excatly how it feels." He muttered.

"This isn't a joke okay I could die." I told him and he pulled the car over.

"What are you doing?" I asked nervously.

"Tell me the truth, what are you running from?" He asked me sternly. Maybe he could help, of course he can't.

"My dad." Is all I said.

"So you left behind your family and friends, moved countries and changed your name because you got into a fight with your dad? I'm not stupid." He said angrily.

"Cause I have a shitty dad too but you don't see me fleeing the country!" He gritted his teeth.

"It's not like that." I told him. He couldn't possibly understand.

"I care about you!" He shouted at me. I must have heard him wrong so I disregarded his comment.

"Your lying okay you don't care about me you hate me." I said quietly.

"I don't hate you." He told me.

"Could of fooled me." I mumbled.

"You're the one lying Athena." He was trying to guilt trip me.

"It's none of your business!" I shouted at him.

"You are my business!" He shouted.

"No I am not, I'm your little sister's babysitter." I told him and he shook his head.

"Tell me the truth, I'm not driving until you tell my the truth." He said and I gave in, like an idiot.

"My dad isn't really my dad. My mom had me at 16 and needed help so when she met Jacques she fell for him instantly. He didn't want me, I wasn't his kid. He hated my guts and kept me hidden. He was ashamed of me. My mom and him had kids of their own. Jacques loved them. I got into trouble with my boyfriend Tate. Jacques threatened to send me away but my mom never let him. One night Tate threw a party at the gang house and started a fire. My siblings couldn't get out." I told him as I began to sob. I couldn't help it.

"I couldn't get them, I tried-" I showed Lucian my arm that had scattered burn scars on it. He looked at me in shock and confusion.

"- It was all my fault, I couldn't stop Tate. I just ran as far as I could. My mom came with me but Jacques found us-me. He wanted me dead and he tried. My mom and I left Quebec because it was too dangerous. I changed my name because if he found me, he would, he will kill me." I told Lucian. He didn't say anything. I closed my eyes and let sobs rack my body.

I felt my body being lifted and suddenly felt strong arms around me.

"It wasn't your fault." Is all Lucian said as he held me.

"I'm sorry." I told him as I saw his shirt was now wet with my tears.

"I won't let him hurt you." He tells me and I shake my head.

"I can't ask that of you." I say as I wipe my cheeks.

"I mean it, he won't hurt you." He tells me again.

"What did you mean?" I whispered.

"You said you know how it feels. What do you mean?" I asked him and he put me back in my seat.

"You ask too many questions." Is all he said.

"I basically just told you my whole life story that could get me killed and you won't explain one comment?" I asked him in disbelief and anger.

"It's none of your business!" He snapped at me.

"I'm your business so why aren't you mine?" I said using his words against him.

"Why are you so difficult?" He asked.

"You don't trust me?" I asked Lucian.

"I guess not." He replies.

We sat in silence as he begins to drive. All kinds of thoughts ran through my mind. I just wanted to jump out of this car and run far far away. 

"I almost got kicked out of my gang." Lucian says breaking the silence.

"The only reason I'm still in it is because my fathers the leader. I'm supposed to take over for him when he dies but I'm not wanted, I'm hidden away." He tells me as his knuckles turn white.

"Why?" I asked him.

"I almost died too." Is all he said. I'm not sure how or when but I didn't dare ask.

"Lucian?" I asked him.

"What?" He asked as he flipped on the radio.

"You can't tell anyone." I pleaded him.

"I won't." He says and starts to speed down the highway.

"Athena?" He asked me and I turned my head to look at him. I watched his emerald eyes as they looked at me briefly before turning back to the road.

"I do trust you." He told me. And for some reason that made my heart warm. Maybe I could trust him.

I really hope I could because right now, he was all I had.