Chapter 1

The musky smell of night replaces the smell of sweat and body juices. I feel relieved when I breathe in the night air. It is so beautiful out here, I would prefer this over a party every single time. I hug myself and take in the scene before me- trees lining the secluded road beneath a starred sky. It's so quiet, peaceful. I feel at home, a feeling I've never felt in a long time.
Out of nowhere, I hear a rustle. My reflexes kick in and the hair on my neck rises. I take up a defensive stance and I hear a dark chuckle behind me. A sound so beautiful that it is almost alien. I turn around and I meet nothing, just the quiet night. I must have had too much to drink. I start to make my way to the block where I had parked my car. I hear a rustle again, a different sort of rustle- of feathers and secrets. I turn around and the wind gets almost knocked out of me. I am face to face with the most beautiful male I've ever seen. Hard, chiselled face, the planes of his face as smooth as marble. He has high cheekbones and an aristocratic nose. His eyes are the colour of sea on a stormy day. His lips are curled in an amused smile. I was speechless and that must have  shown because his gaze turned into an amused one. His eyes twinkling like stars with mirth. He cleared his throat and said, "Earth to mortal". He had such a beautiful voice, like a lover's purr.
"How can I help you?" came my breathy response. Oh shit!  I sound like a bloody receptionist.
"That is the million dollar question, isn't it?"
"Excuse me? Were you at the party?"
"What do you think?" He pointed to himself. "Was I at the party?"
He was wearing an expensive looking tunic, like the men in ancient folk tales. It was embroidered with silver thread. When I didn't say anything, he laughed and ran a hand through his hair. His hair was raven coloured and it's ends curled to touch the back of his neck, as if his hair couldn't resist touching him.
"Nevermind, we will meet again, mo bhanríon."
He took my hand and kissed the inked skin on wrist. His lips were cold and the kiss was a shock, it made me come out of my trance and I snatched my hand back and scowled at him. He laughed again, a sound which sent delicious shivers down my spine. He turned around and started walking and soon disappeared into the night.

***

"This is the zeroth law of Thermodynamics..." I tuned out after that, it was becoming increasingly easy these days. I was in my Physics class. I looked at the words on my wrist, "At the still point, there the dance is". It was a beautiful quote by T.S Elliot. It was my favorite quote, till now, obviously. I looked at the sky from the window, it was cloudy, it was probably going to rain. The melancholy skies reminded me of his eyes. It had been three days since that night at the party, the encounter with that raven haired stranger. I sighed and heard my name being called. I looked over to my friend, Ellie, she was waving her hands in front of my face and whisper-shouted, "Someone is in the office to meet you, Evelyn. They have been calling you since hours." She rolls her chocolate brown eyes. Ellie and I have been friends since last year, when I joined this school. We look almost same with our lean build and brown hair, but she has brown eyes and I have a moss green eye color. I sigh once more, and make my way out of the classroom. I find myself in the long corridor, which is dimly lit with bulbs. I start walking and thunder booms in the corridor. I shiver, despite the sweater I've worn, I feel cold. The bulbs start to flicker and the smell of mist fills my lungs, its a soothing smell, but my heart is hammering in my ribcage. Its just a storm, that is what I tell myself. "You know the reason behind your heart's sudden excitement, there is no need to ignore it.", yells the super annoying noise in the back of my mind, also known as subconscious. A laugh echoes in the hall, I turn to find its source and find him leaning against the wall, gray eyes twinkling. He pushes off the wall and covers the distance between us in three long strides. "What are you doing here?" I question. He cocks his head to the side,and scrutinizes me as if he is trying to decipher me. His gaze is almost  predatory.

"You always ask the most difficult questions, don't you?"

I laughed a nervous laugh. Something about him was making my nerves dance with energy. He had that effect on me. "Well, I have got to go."

I turned around to leave, but he was quicker and I found myself once again staring into his crystal gray eyes. "Are you going to the office, to meet someone? Well, don't bother, because that someone is me."

I wasn't surprised, because hey, who would want to meet me? I met his steely gaze with mine and said, "Why did you want to meet me?"

"I wanted to hear you talk, the last time we met, you weren't up for any chats, remember?"

Goodness, that was embarrassing. I cleared my throat and said," I was drunk. Now, I want your name and the real reason you want to talk to me, not some sappy pick up line."

He looked slightly offended, it was cute. He rolled his eyes and said, "Names have power, silly mortal. You cant expect me to tell you my name right away."

"Well consider this farewell then." I turned and started to walk towards the class. I willed myself to not to look back at him, but that didn't stop me from hearing his reply.

"Not so soon, mo bhanrion."