Chapter 7

I opened my eyes. I was in the cafeteria, I felt disoriented, my tongue felt fuzzy. The last thing I remember is the announcement of the free class, I must've slept through it. Gentle hands stroked my hair, I turned to find Alexander gazing at me with concern written on his face. He smiled tentatively at me. "Rise and shine'", he says, his blue eyes crinkling with humor.

"Coffee", I croak. He turns in his chair and hands me a cup of coffee.

"Voila!", he laughs. He must have brought it for me. How thoughtful. I gulp down the caffeine and feel better instantly. What wonders a beverage can do.

"You are in a good mood, that's unusual.", I remark.

"There's a first time for everything." Time. Holy crap! I probably slept like dead and missed all my classes.

"What time is it?"

"Our last class is in five."

I groan, earning anther chuckle from him. "Can I just skip the class? I feel really sick."

"Off you go! I will cover up for you, mo gra."

My blood freezes. I feel cold. Something is wrong. I cant put my finger on it.

"What did you say?", I whisper. I feel dizzy.

"I will cover up for you. Are you okay, Evelyn? You look sick." Concern is etched on his pretty face. He reaches for my hand, to steady me. I recoil from his touch.

Run. Run. Run.

My instincts roar at me to run. Alexander looks confused. I get up from the table and start towards the exit. I hear him calling my name. I ignore him. When I reach the hall, I start to run. I run like my life depends on it and slam into someone. A very hard and warm someone. I look up and into the stormy gray eyes of William. Shit. Could my day get any worse? A number of emotions flit through his eyes. Confusion, concern and anger. He bands his hands on my waist. Fingers digging into my flesh.

"Did he hurt you?" , he snarls.

It takes me a moment to realize that he is talking about Alexander.

"What are you talking about?", I squeak. I don't know why but I am very scared. He leans in until his breath touches my collar bone. His lips are near my pulse point and his nose slightly touches my neck. He inhales deeply and groans. Heat pools deep inside my stomach.

"I will kill that son of a bitch", he growls.

I compose myself and demand. "Why? What did he do to you?"

He laughs. "Oh, you don't know a thing about it, Bhanrion."

"Stop calling me that and you won't say anything to him."

He tenses and then inches closer to me. He brushes a stray lock of my hair, just like Alexander did, some time ago. He gently cups my cheek and I lose my thinking ability, he is too close, the smell of mist invades my senses, I try to back up but he just comes closer until my back is touching the wall and his body is trapping me completely. His fingers skim over my cheekbone and trace the outline of my lips. His eyes grow hooded, I try my best to resist the urge to lean into his touch and fail miserably. He chuckles lightly when I rest my cheek in his hand. His free hand snakes around my waist to hold me steady.

He leans in ever so slightly, his breath hits my lips and white hot desire flows in my blood. And then finally, his lips meet mine, a small groan emerges from him at this small contact. His lips are so soft. My eyes close. Fire flows through my veins, my body craving more. I slide my hands into his hair. His raven black hair is so so soft, as soft as silken feathers. He deepens the kiss and traces the seam of my lips with his tongue and right when I am about to open for him, he retracts and murmurs against my lips, "I will do what I need to do, mon Bhanrion."

When I open my eyes, he's gone. I am alone in the long hallway.
***

I drive my Volvo in a daze. What just happened today? I knew something was wrong. I blasted the radio and pulled down the window. The road had a nice scenery. I stopped near the woods. Something about them was familiar. I got out of my car with my backpack and moved towards the forest as if in a daze. Something terrible happened here, I could sense it. As I moved further in the woods, the sense of dread increased. I could feel someone's gaze on me, as if there were things in that forest who were watching my every move. I came to a stop and sat down on a log. I was having a massive deja vu. I took a deep breath. The scene in front of me was peaceful and intriguing at the same time, it was as if danger just lurked nearby, and I was flirting with it.

Something cold touched my hand, it was my earring. I checked both of my ears and found that I was only wearing one earring. My earring, in a forest I've never been to. I must have dropped it when I sat down on the log, but nothing seemed to ease the growing pit of dread in my stomach. I did what I do best, I took out my notebook and started writing. When I completed my poem, I was satisfied, my piece reminded me of something. Something that was lurking in the back of my mind, but never completely revealing itself.

Arrows tipped with cursed ice,

Frost spreading like young love,

What is it but fool's paradise?

Forbidden sins or lack thereof.

I smiled, satisfied with my work. I didn't feel scared anymore. I felt safe and happy. Poetry always does that to me. I easily navigated my way out of the forest and froze when I found Alexander leaning against my car. He pushed off my car when he saw of me and covered the distance between us in two long strides. He looked mad.

"What are you doing here, Evelyn?", he snarled.

"Why can't I be here, Alexander?", I retorted.

"Stop avoiding my question."

I sighed, already tired of this argument. "I came here to write poetry." His eyes widened and he snatched the notebook that was in my hand. "Hey!" I screamed, "that was rude!"

He ignored me and perused the poem I had jotted down in that notebook. He muttered angrily, "Why isn't it working?"

"Why isn't what working, Alexander?" He was trembling with restrained frustration and anger. He looked scary.

"Alexander, I need you to explain all of this." I demanded. He dropped my notebook and grabbed my shoulders in a vice like grip, it hurt. He looked angry, his icy eyes looked feral and unearthly.

"Why isn't this working?", he all but screamed. He was gnashing his teeth.

"Alexander, you are hurting me." I tried to remain calm.

He loosened his hold but didn't let go, his hands drifted to the small of my back.

"You make me worry, Evelyn,", he whispered. He pulled me to him, my face was buried in his chest and his chin rested on top of my head. I inhaled his cool blue smell. It comforted me somehow, but then I heard him mutter something, like a chant. I tried to withdraw from him but his hold on me was too strong. When I managed to look at his face, I found that he was staring into the woods. I couldn't see his expression. I tried to turn around but that movement caused him to notice me, he looked down at me and smiled, a real and genuine smile, it knocked the breath out of me.

"Shh, Evelyn", he whispered in a voice so sweet that my eyelids started to droop. "Lets get you home." My head dropped on his chest and he easily held me upright, I blacked out soon after that.