Chapter 4

William POV

I was lounging in my chambers when I noticed that the wine was gone. I ordered Eamonn, a lesser fae, to bring me some more wine. With the wine gone, my thoughts drifted to the mortal. She frustrated me, and still I couldn't stay away from her. To make things worse, she wrote poetry, about us.

No mortal knew about the fae. We had secluded our race since millennia. When those disgusting mortals started to degrade nature, we were forced to live in seclusion. Yet, she wrote poems that hauntingly described us, our wines, our fruits and our pleasures. I smiled when I remembered that how easily I had glamoured her. That was just one of our powers. I could make those despicable mortals do anything. But, there were laws, and even being the Crown Prince didn't excuse you for breaking the laws.

Eamonn arrived with the wine which I gulped down hurriedly and left the chambers. The halls of our palace were filled with glamoured mortals. I felt a tiny twinge of sympathy but I quickly realized that some courtier would probably smell the sympathy on me and report it to my father, The King of Faerie. I needed to get out of here, seeing these mortals drunk on faery wine reminded me of the future that awaited Evelyn. And for some reason, the thought of her, humiliated beyond everything, drunk and starved made a yawning abyss of regret and shame open into my stomach.

I entered the palace gardens, seeing the trees, as high as the night sky made me feel safe. Nature always made us Fae feel safe. The multi colored stars looked enchanting. Everything was so dull in the mortal world, how they managed to live like that has always piqued my curiosity. The time I spent in the mortal world was so boring, well, except she made it bright. Moreover, it was draining to always keep the glamours in check. I had to glamour my appearance, make it look a little less animalistic, I had to make the tips of my ears look rounded. And sometimes, around her, I lost control over my glamours, she had that effect on me. That might be my biggest mistake, because she was observant and I was bound to slip someday, but distracting her for the time being was worth it.
My eyes slid to the acorns, they were irridiscent. They, too, reminded me of her. She didn't know that I had to make them disappear because I was afraid that it was going to give away my secret. But, All of  it was in vain. They found her. And they had the audacity to send him to the mortal world as their ambassador.  That sick bastard. Alexander has interfered in my mission. I will never forgive the Ice Folk. But, unfortunately I didn't know his fae name, names in Faerie are important. I couldn't touch him but maybe I could use Evelyn to get me his real name, that could give me tremendous power over him. No, I couldn't risk her life. Ice folk are known for their cold and calculating demeanor. They are ruthless. I wouldn't wish Alexander upon anyone. Seeing Alexander with her the last night made my blood freeze. They had gotten to know about my mission from somewhere. And that was one grave mistake, if anyone here gets an inkling about it, there will be a war, and even I wouldn't be able to stop it.

I hear a rustle in the gardens and an animalistic snarl, a beat later, I realized that the snarl had come from me, I was on edge these days. A slender female, with hair as black as night approaches me. Its Karou, a sea nymph. She gazes into my eyes with her eyes as bright as swirling starlight.

"I come to offer a piece on information, Crown Prince.", she says in a voice as beautiful as a Siren. She bows, but her hair never touches the ground, her hair flows around her as if she is still in water.

"Karou, to what do I owe the pleasure?", I say.

"Alexander of the Ice Folk has begun his mission, the first step of his plan is to enroll himself into the....mortal's educational institute."

I froze. How did he dare. I had to do something, real quick. But first, I had to pay her for this information.

"Thank you Karou, what do you want in return of this information?"

She smiled and revealed her shark like fangs. "An acorn, plucked from the Crown Prince's hand itself, grown in the mud of the Palace."

I gave her the acorn and she went back to the sea.

I had to go to the mortal lands really quickly. Time passed differently in Faerie, a minute in here could mean a year in the mortal lands and a year in Faerie could mean a minute in mortal lands. There was no way of knowing the exact time difference. Faerie is an ever changing world, that's why maps do not work here. But, the time difference and the changing lands do not affect the Fae, they're just tools to torture mortals. I was about to leave the Faerie realm through The End, when Miach, my brother, approached me. He has bright, red shoulder length hair. We are total opposites. Where I am pale as the moon, he is as shinning as the sun. All the females wanted to bed him because of that golden tan. Our mothers are different and both are dead.
He grins at me and says, "Where are you going, brother?"
"None of your concern"

"I heard the mortals are trying to cross The End, they're using that little brain of theirs." I froze. He knew. He knew about my mission. He knew about Evelyn. He wasn't supposed to know about this. Miach is known for being torturous. The thought of what he would do to Evelyn if he ever found her left a foul taste in my mouth. I ignored him. But, he drawled on, "What fun it will be to glamour those delicate humans! I pray that they succeed." His eyes are alight with wicked delight.

I leave my home realm without a whisper and make my way to Odechas High School.