Chapter 3

The next morning I woke up in a daze, dressed for school and left without having breakfast. My parents were never at home, my mother was always being invited to parties and my father was always busy with his work. It bothered me when I was young, but I stopped caring after a period of time.

When I reached the school, there was a hubbub going around and with a slight surprise I realized that it was Friday. I had lost the track of days because of a someone. I decided to show the letter and the acorns to Ellie, with that purpose in my mind, I made my way to my locker. But when I opened the locker, the letter was no where to be found. It bothered me as it made me question my own sanity. Had I imagined him? Was he just a figment of my petty imagination? I sighed and closed the locker only to meet a pair of chocolate brown eyes.

"Its party night!", screamed Ellie. "You can't back out like last time, Evelyn! And who knows, you might find a cute guy!"

"I don't need a cute guy." I groaned.

"Liar, Liar, pants on fire!", sang Ellie. So it was going to be party night today. I might as well take my mind off him. Ellie linked arms with Leon and leaned in to whisper conspiratorially, "Wear something sexy." I rolled my eyes at her.

The rest of the day flew by and soon it was 6 pm, which meant that the party at Mace's house started in an hour. I chose to wear a black dress with triangular cut outs at the waist. It looked sexy without making me feel uncomfortable. I applied some kohl to emphasise my green eyes and just a coat of mascara and I was good to go.

I parked my Chevrolet in front of Mace's house which was humongous and beautiful. She invited the whole high school at her parties. I was awashed with a sense of deja vu when I remembered that I met him here the first time. I held my head high and my way into the house. I was engulfed in the smell of alcohol and sex. I soon found Ellie and invited her to dance with me. She brought various drinks with her and I had a few of them. We danced for a long time and I lost her to Leon. After a long time, I made my way through the sea of bodies and found Ellie talking to Leon and a white haired guy. I approached them and Ellie  started to point at the guy with her eyes subtly. She took Leon by his elbow and said in a sacharide tone, "You two should chat up a little."
I smiled awkwardly at the white haired boy with blue eyes. His eyes looked like a lake frosted over. Had he dyed his hair white? He was lean and it looked like only a thin layer of muscle enveloped his skeleton. He smiled at me in a sleepy way. He leaned in and my breath hitched. Gods! He moved like water. It was captivating. He reached behind my shoulder and took the drink on the waiter's tray who was behind me. I released my breath.
"You can call me Alexander", he said. His voice was as beautiful as flowing water.
"Hi Alexander, I am Evelyn", I breathed.
"What a beautiful name. Why aren't you dancing with these...guys?" He paused for about two seconds before saying "guys".
"I am keeping you company. Why aren't you out there?"
He laughed a soft laugh and closed his eyes. His white eyelashes feathered down on his smooth cheek. He was so beautiful. There was no other word for it.
"Do you think they're in love?" He pointed towards the couple's dancing on the dance floor ignoring my question.
"Um..Yes. But, I don't know much about love."
He laughed again and mused, "They just think that they are in love. The idea of being in love is so beautiful to them, that they forget the meaning of Love."
I stared at him. He was amazing. "What's your major?" I blurted out.
He looked at me like I was crazy, oh no, I didn't even know that if he was in high school or not.
"Let's get out of this place, shall we?" He offered me a pale and smooth hand and surprisingly, I took it and went out if the house. I made sure to text Ellie that I was leaving.

We arrived on that very road. Alexander was still holding my hand. When I tried to retrieve it, he tightened  his hold.

"I should go now. It was nice meeting you, Alexander."

"Yeah, same-

"Evelyn", An echo. Just a whisper above the wind.

I stilled. Alexander's hand tightened ever so slightly. The smell of mist flooded my senses. I felt dizzy. It must be the alcohol. I saw a figure walk towards us. Even from the dark sillhoutte, I could recognize him. William was walking towards us.
He scowled when he saw my hand in Alexander's.
"Fancy seeing you here, Evelyn", he said.
"I was just leaving."
Alexander was looking at him in a weird way. As if he was sizing a predator up. I ignored that look.

"Well, I can give you a ride.", said William. He came closer to me. I clutched Alexander's hand tightly. He brushed a stray lock of my hair and leaned in. His image was blurring at places and his eyes were looking slanted, more feline. The alcohol was doing weird things to my mind.
"You need to sleep, Gráinn." He whispered in my ear.
I felt my consciousness fleet away, the only thing holding me in place was Alexander's hand. The last thing I heard before passing out was Alexander's angry words.

"You need to stop doing that."