Chapter 5

"So, did you have fun last night?", Ellie asks with a naughty gleam in her eyes. I scoff. Truth be told, I don't even remember what happened last night. I remember meeting Alexander, I also remember William's harsh words, but after that it's blank. I woke up in my bed this morning, with a handful of acorns on my pillow. How did I end up there, I don't know.
"You are day dreaming again!", shouts Ellie. I wince. She notices. "Are you alright?". Her tone abruptly becomes concerned. "Did he hurt you, Evelyn?"
"No, he didn't. He was actually very nice.", I smile, remembering Alexander's sleepy smile.
"Are you talking about me?",says a familiar, quiet voice behind me. I whirl around and find myself face to face with Alexander, he wears a black hoodie and a crooked grin. His white headphones dangling from his neck. Ellie pointedly leaves us alone.
"Hi", I mutter breathlessly. I don't know why but I am suddenly breathless. He smiles an easy smile and leans on the wall close to us.
"You didn't answer my question "
My blush answers his question and I avoid his eyes. Instead, I say, "Since when do you come to my school?"
"Since the moment I saw you."
He is a smooth talker, I have to give him that. He  suddenly inches closer to me. It isn't as uncomfortable as I might have thought.
I roll my eyes and try to suppress the smile that comes to my lips because of his wordplay.
"So, are you going to give me a tour?" He smiles at me. It makes my heart flutter. I don't want to feel like that. It scares me. So, I quickly avoid the situation.
"Well, I am sorry, my first class is in two minutes.", I mutter, avoiding his eyes.
He throws his white head back and glances at me through hooded eyes. There is something wild, feline and cold  in his frost blue eyes. My heartbeat thunders. Run, run, run, run. The thought of running echoes in my mind, adrenaline rushes into my body and it might have shown because something unidentifiable flashes in his eyes, and a slow and sensual smile blooms on his full lips.
"I'll see you again, Evelyn." He makes my name sound like music. I do not reply and make my way to my class, feeling his eyes burn a hole in the back of my head.
                                ***
I make my way through the lunch break crowd and sense a fight, because people are tense, as if sensing some war. That is when I see Alexander and William sitting on our cafeteria table. I am shocked. The word "shocked" doesn't even cover what I feel. William is silently shooting death glares at Alexander. And Alexander is conversing with Leon. When I arrive, I sit between Nicholas and Ellie. William ignores me but Alexander sends a shy smile towards me.
"How was your day, Evelyn?", asks Nicholas. "Have you met my friend, William? He is a transfer student from London."
William, at his mention, smiles at me and says, "Its a pleasure to meet you, Evelyn." He has an accent. Why didn't I notice it? Because you were too busy staring at that bod! Screams my subconscious.  Wait, why is he using a formal tone? Oh, are we playing at that now? Well, two can play one game.
I smile at him icily. For some reason, this bothers me. "Its nice to meet you too, William."
At that time, Leon raises his head, his eyes are a bit glazed over. He smiles at us and says, "Here's my friend, meet Alexander!"
Alexander looks up at everyone and smiles,  his eyes lingering on me. I feel a blush creep up. "Hello, everyone. Hi, Evelyn"
His addressing me specifically earns him a snort from Ellie, I elbow her. She grins.
We make small talk. Nicholas is behaving weird. I think he is high or something.
The rest of the day is uneventful.
After school, I make my way to my car and I open my door when I find a blue parchment there, along with a white box. I warily pick it up, it smells of pine and snow. On the parchment, the following words are written.

Dearest Evelyn,
Thank you for welcoming me on your cafeteria table. I really appreciate it. I have got something for you. I won't call it a bribe or a present. Well, you see, I make a lot of deals. I know it sounds weird. But, this present is very personal to me. Maybe someday I will explain it to you. But, in return of this present, you will have to give me a tour of your school. And don't worry, we have the same schedule, Ellie told me. You can't give that present back to me. There is no backing out for you, not when you have entered my life like a blizzard.
Always,
Alexander.
Holy shit. That letter was intense. In a daze, I open the white box. Inside the box, two pairs of drop earings await me. When I touch them, they're oddly very very cold but not uncomfortable, they are so beautiful. The diamonds look like crystals of ice. But, why is this gift personal to him? What does he mean by deals? I drive myself to my home, my brain still plagued by the thoughts of the white haired boy.