I'm gonna regret it

Bucky's POV

By the time we got there, Steve was already gone. Scott started up the time machine and just as we got there he left. Bruce headed towards the machine. It was strange of Steve to pick up and leave without any word but I somewhat knew he wasn't coming back, that's why it was so crucial for Y/n to get there in time.

When Scott told us that Steve seemed to be in a rush he looked at me nervous of his words, as if he was unsure. He said Steve would be back any minute now. He moved to give Y/n a hug and introduced himself. They would get along great, I could already tell.

"So, you're the famous Y/n, I'm a big fan" He wiggled his eyebrows

"...OF YOUR SKILLS OF COURSE-" Scott said to Y/n panicking.

Y/n laughed "It's okay Scott, thanks. Your work for science is quite impressive, I'm sorry I didn't meet you sooner. This would have been helpful while I was working in the Stark lab" She said winking.

"So that's how you met America's ass," Scott said laughing with Y/n nodding and joining in with his laughter.

I saw Sam leaning against a tree and approached him.

"What's up with you?" I said to Sam putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Steve should've been back by now" Sam looked at me with worry.

I knew this would happen, I knew he would leave.

I looked a Y/n but she was no longer looking at me, Scott, Bruce, or even Sam. She was looking at a man on a bench looking at the water. I knew who it was but I didn't say a word. I looked at Sam nudging him forward. He looked at me strangely but started to walk towards the man.

Y/n's POV

As I was talking to Scott I noticed a man, an old man sitting on a bench. Could it be Steve? no.. it couldn't have been, right!?

Sam walked towards the man making conversation. I didn't move from where I was standing but that didn't stop Bucky from moving beside me to hold my hand just as Scott did with my other. They all knew it was Steve, I, however, didn't want to believe it. When the famous vibranium shield was given to Sam and I knew from that point on it was really real and really Steve.

Sam came back telling me to talk to Steve.

"You should go, Y/n. I didn't tell him it was you, I just told him it was someone special" Sam said nodding towards Steve.

I nodded "Nice shield," I said as I winked looking at the red and blue piece.

"Oh, this thing? It's not mine. It's not my time yet" He held the shield up to Bucky.

Bucky was speechless just as I was until he spoke up.

"B-but he gave it to y-you?" Bucky said holding the shield in his hands.

"He knows you're not ready to talk to him yet, he also said I'd know what to do with it and it's to give it to you robocop" Sam smiled and hugged Bucky

"Thanks, bird brain" Bucky waved me off to go while he stayed along with Scott and Bruce to banter.

I walked to Steve not making eye contact but sitting beside him looking at the water just as he did. I turned to him and explained what had happened to me and where I was with tears in my eyes. As I was explaining Steve looked at me in shock and pure surprise but did not once interrupt me, he was so patient.

"...and now I'm here in front of the love of my life who has now outlived my life. I'm sorry, I'm so late Steve. You left and I wasn't fast enough and you just stayed-"

You looked down to see the wedding ring on Steve's finger.

"Oh." You said with tears finally falling down your cheeks.

You were definitely too late.

"Y/n I didn't know you were alive. If I knew I wouldn't have left but listened-"

"You don't have to explain yourself, Steve, I caused this," You said putting your hand up to stop him.

"You went back in time to the love of your life, Peggy, I know" You started to cry harder.

Steve was about to say something but stopped and grasped your hand.

"You know you look even more beautiful since I last saw you"

"Don't flirt with me old man" You giggled.

"Y/n, I didn't marry Peggy," He said

You were about to speak but he continued.

"Yes it's true I went back to Peggy but she told me something. She said 'You're a modern avenger, Steve and they need you'. She was right. No matter how bad I wanted my life in the 1940s, I'm past that. I can't live without war and surely not when I know it's happening. Peggy helped me get pim particles and I left to go back... but there were some complications" Steve said grinning.

"So... are you gonna tell me about her," I asked looking at his ring.

"No, no I don't think I will"

"I'm glad your happy Steve," I said eyes glossy from tears.

"I have to go back now, in order for thing's to take place properly"

"what? what do you mean Steve? you can't leave again, you can't leave me again-"

"I'll see you soon doll" Steve patted my hand and vanished.

What did he mean by soon? or by in order? what were you going to do now?