follow the highways

maybe i just need to take a year off from existing and follow the highways for awhile.

won't you get lonely?

it'll be the kind of lonely i need.

it'll be the lonely where maybe it fills the spaces between my ribs and the gap in my chest and i won't need fingers between mine and bruises between my thighs. i won't crave your vodka touch and flaming lips, i'll rely on the stars for a mind and a worn mattress for a spine. maybe my knees will become to knobby and my elbows scabbed but the cotton in my throat when the passenger seat is empty will clear and the rain will wash away your cologne.

the lonely where the desert dust clogs my pores and not your venom. my bones will grow strong and the chips and cracks will mend, i won't need you sinking your teeth into my skin because it's a new armor. i need the isolation of mind and soul because i can't be dormant any longer and i can't be trampled on and when you call i won't run and i won't come because i am lonely and it's okay. it's okay okay okay okay. im okay. my fingernails may get a little bloody and my chest may ache but thats only because im scratching your touch away and the emptiness in my sternum is healing.

im healing without you.