3: Inaudible

"its getting dark, we should set camp here" stated asuma as he stopped at a clearing.

"aw, but we can still walk further, its not completely dark yet!" exclaimed naruto as he swung his arms in opposition.

"naruto, this is an escort mission, we have a civilian with us" stated kakashi in his usual monotone.

"but-" his protests were cut short by a commanding stare from the masked nin, a pout forming on his lips.

"fine" he muttered as he crossed his arms over his chest, sulking childishly.

"alright then, team 10 go look for firewood, team 7 why don't you set up camp. Me and kakashi will be scouting the area" commanded asuma as he took a drag from his pipe.

"hai!"

• • • • •

"um, hey naruto, do you know that guy?" spoke sakura to her blonde teammate for the first time since he had that little breakdown.

The blonde froze for a fraction of a second, not enough to be noticable to the untrained eye, but then regained his movement in a flash "huh?" he asked as he faced their kunoichi with a seemingly confused expression.

"you know, our client, hirota akashi" she said softly while looking away, seeing how he reacted before to his name, or at least she though it was because of the name.

Thump

Kill him. Kill him-

Naruto let out a calming breath, opposed to the raging storm that started welling up inside him, hearing his name.

That son of a-!

'they don't know, they don't know, they don't know-' his favorite inner mantra came up once again, it always calmed him even just slightly, enough to not unleash the wrath of the kyuubi onto konoha. The wrath that he was plagued with starting that day.

Not like he actually cared for the village, but his precious people do, and his precious people are the only ones that keep him walking among the land of the living. He would go to the ends of the earth for them, even go through hell and back just to keep them safe.

It was laughable really, his mask that was so carefully broken down and mended through time and pain was so easily ripped apart by the reason he had so strongly believed he needed one.

Kill him. Kill him. Kill him. Kill him. Kill him-

Akashi

That mother fu-!

"NARUTO!!"

Clang!

"wha-!" his eyes closed shut as instincts kicked in and he blocked his face with his arms in a 'X' position. Its been a while since he has been caught off guard.

"...naruto?" the voice softened, realizing that there was no immediate danger, his brain rebooted and he swiftly pulled down his hands, one reaching to the back of his head in a sheepish habit with his signature grin forming on his features, almost so quickly that even jounin would have second thoughts if he actually did it.

"uh... yeah?"

"are you okay?" he finally opened his eyes to see that his sensei, kakashi hatake, was the one talking. The two jounins having been alerted by one of the genins of the blonde's sudden breakdown.

"yeah! why, what's wrong kakashi-sensei?" he asked as he tilted his head to the side seemingly in confusion.

"well, you were out of it just now" stated asuma.