Chapter 1

It's ugly.

Chaeyoung stares at the wedding invitation on the coffee table. Ivory with a shade of lilac and soft buttery yellow, wedding details in a slightly darker rosy mauve in the center, bordered by floral prints. Okay, it's not ugly but she thinks her taste is a million times better. She doesn't remember any of those colors as Chanyeol's favorite. Maybe they're his soon-to-be bride's favorite colors, maybe they're Chanyeol's that she never actually knew.

Whatever, she thinks. It doesn't matter. Their breakup happened two years ago, not two days ago. This is nothing. Just because she hasn't found a replacement, it doesn't mean that her life isn't doing great. Her new job is cool. Her colleagues are cool. Everything has been very cool, so, this invitation is nothing.

*

Jungkook sips the last of the coffee with an exaggerating sound as he stares at the words printed in large fonts, bold and underlined that he has been reading over and over for the past five minutes; PAY THE RENT IN 3 DAYS OR VACATE.

He stares for another ten seconds or so at the paper taped to his door before taking out his keys, entering his apartment and goes straight to the kitchen. Jungkook opens the refrigerator, smiles at the nothingness inside of it before he turns and takes a glass and drinks the water from the tap.

As he thinks of what to eat for dinner, it has finally dawned on him that his life is screwed. He looks out the window and observes the streets. If he really is going to start a new life living in the streets, he needs to reserve a comfortable spot at the park.

*

The sun stabs her eyes and Chaeyoung lets out the ugliest whine as she pulls the blanket until her entire body is covered including her head when Jennie pulls the curtain open after failing to wake her up through gentle slaps on her face.

"Gosh, you look like shit," Jennie comments and continues to pat Chaeyoung all over her face, chanting 'rise and shine' like a mantra until Chaeyoung slaps her friend's hand away, flailing her arms around.

"Okay, okay, I'm up," she grumbles. "Stop touching me."

Chaeyoung rubs her face lazily, blinking the crust from her sleepy eyes and she forces her eyes to open when Jennie threatens to get a whole basin of water if she attempts to go back to sleep. Jennie stands there with her arms crossed across her chest, and she's actually wearing a really nice silk maroon dress, a decent amount of cleavage showing, her hair is up into a neat bun with a few strands purposely let down on each side of her face, face in full make-up and Chaeyoung's eyes slowly widens.

"Am I late for the wedding?" she slightly gasps. "Is that why you're here?"

Jennie furrows her brows and sighs. She takes a seat on the edge of Chaeyoung's bed. "The wedding is one month from now, silly."

"So why are you all dressed up?" Chaeyoung asks, already making herself comfortable in her bed once again.

"I have to attend an event and I have to leave early if I don't want to be late so I dressed up from home because I think I will be late when I remembered that I need to check up on you," Jennie explains.

Chaeyoung sputters under the cover. "Why do you need to check up on me? Last time I checked, you're not my mom."

The cover is suddenly off her in an instant and she's met with Jennie narrowing her eyes at her, as if she is trying to read her mind. "What time did you get home?"