Chapter 7

Jungkook smiles at the old landlady who's looking at him with the nastiest glare ever. "Smile a little, Mrs. Yang."

"I'm this close to throwing your things out," Mrs. Yang says, huffing as she pushes her glasses up her nose.

"Aw," Jungkook says. "Well, I've paid and that's more important, am I right? Shouldn't you be smiling right now?"

The lady rolls her eyes and walks away with her cat, still whining under her breath and Jungkook pokes his head out of his door just to shout, "Have a nice day, Mrs. Yang!"

Just then, his neighbor Hoseok comes out of his house and approaches Jungkook. "What's up, man? You've finally settled everything, huh?"

"Yep."

"And once again, you've managed to save your ass at the very last minute."

"Yeah," Jungkook laughs.

"I told you Yoongi is nice."

Jungkook shakes his head. "I didn't borrow from him."

Hoseok lifts a brow. "You won a jackpot?"

Jungkook's mind brings him back to the thoughts of Chaeyoung and the whole deal of being her fake boyfriend. He smiles wide. "You can say so."

Hoseok doesn't say much after that, bids Jungkook goodbye as he proceeds to make his way to work. When Jungkook gets back inside, he grabs his phone to continue where he left off. He's in the middle of exchanging information with his fake girlfriend. So far, he knows that Chaeyoung is left-handed, likes blue but sometimes she will be really into pink -specifically, baby pink, she can draw and she does it in her free time, she loves to eat and her favorite food include sour things, she's a dreamer and she cries easily.

He types; So do you want to know anything about me?

He waits and continues to stare at their exchanged texts over and over and he smiles, feeling a little light. It's probably because he's settled his debt with the landlady. It's also because finally, in so many months or years, he can't really remember, he's actually having a simple but real conversation that's going to sound mundane to others but very entertaining to him.

Her reply comes in and Jungkook's smile disappears instantly.

- Are you jobless?

Jungkook sighs but he almost laughs, because for some reason, he thinks that she doesn't mean to sound quite mean and is probably just curious. He comes up with this image of her based on what he's already seen. Jungkook replies; 'what a way to ruin the mood'

Chaeyoung replies fast.

- Sorry! I didn't mean to :(

He smiles a little and replies with; I had a job but I got fired.

Their chat goes on until she tells him that she needs to go. Jungkook bites his lip as he thinks for a moment before he sends her; Wanna go out tomorrow night?

He expects a reply later on that day. That fast reply that he receives sure widens his smile further. Maybe he's no longer lonely.

*

Chaeyoung can't help but laugh as she takes the ice cream Jungkook is handing her. "Ice cream date, at night?"

"Don't tell me you've never done this before?" he raises a brow at her questioningly. When she continues to smile at him, Jungkook softly shakes his head at her. "Look at how boring your life was before you met me."