Chapter 18

Chaeyoung doesn't realize that she's been holding her breath the moment Chanyeol reads his vows to the love of his life. Maybe because it reminds her of those times in the past, the times when she was less wise than today, the times when she thinks her goal to get married at her parents' church could be accomplished with Chanyeol as the groom. It reminds her the nights she spent imagining how his vows would sound like, and what hers would be.

Park Chanyeol who's standing in front of the beautiful bride is exactly nothing like the Park Chanyeol that she knew, that she remembers. Physically, nothing much changed. The whole vibe about him, though, is totally different.

During the early days of her being thrown into the world of single ladies again, she didn't believe in the idea that Chanyeol could love another woman more than he did her, even though in actuality, he was never in love with her in the first place.

When she stares at Chanyeol's shaking hand that's holding the mic, his other hand that's holding a paper containing his long vows -also shaking, how he takes the deepest breath after smiling nervously at his bride, Chaeyoung acknowledges everything.

As Chanyeol and his bride exchange their kiss, Chaeyoung feels a hand sliding into hers. Jungkook gently holds her, silently intertwining their fingers and Chaeyoung feels the breath that she's been holding the whole time leaves her calmly, her chest feeling light. She squeezes Jungkook's hand in return and as she stares at the side of Jungkook's face, she feels a fresh determination being born within her.

This time, she's determined. This time, she will really let Chanyeol go.

*

"So..." Jungkook begins, lifting his phone, showing her the messages she's sent him. "Should we talk about this?"

They have both picked a spot at the corner during the reception, a little private for them to sort out whatever unspoken things that's been happening between them two.

Chaeyoung stares at his phone and inhales deeply, nodding her head. There's no way she's backing out now. She lifts the glass to her mouth, sipping on the beverage for a moment. "I..." she begins softly. "I want to say I'm sorry... for ignoring your texts."

Jungkook juts out his bottom lip, nodding his head before taking a sip of his drink. "My texts?"

She bites her lips and sighs, every regret birthed during the times she was ignoring him is now hanging off her face. "I'm really sorry for ignoring your texts and calls," she corrects herself, and Jungkook nods, approving it.

"After the night I spent at your place... I realized a few things. A lot of things actually," she clenches her fist briefly before she looks up and stares straight into his eyes. "I've never been able to really move on from Chanyeol."

She notices the change in Jungkook's expression. His face falls and Chaeyoung feels panicked that she won't be able to say everything that she wants to say. Nevertheless, she needs to let out.

"I dated a few people after him. But I just couldn't do it, the relationships never lasted because of him."

Jungkook's frown becomes more evident, his eyes downcast.

"And then, you happened," she says breathily, the air leaving her lungs in a rush and Jungkook's eyes flick back towards her. "I don't know if you realized it, but..." she pauses, looking away as she feels embarrassment cupping her cheeks.

"But maybe-" she pauses, shaking her head at the word 'maybe'. "I've been..." she stammers, doesn't really know how to properly say it. She groans to herself. "I've been attracted to you since day one," she says everything quickly, squeezing her eyes shut for a second before she awkwardly adds, "I guess."