۵ Chapter Five ۵

Chapter Five
melody

The Queen's Veil

Ashai's fingertips gently tapped against the window-frame of the Warchief's home. Countless tunes left her fingers.

The largest home in the village belonged to Warchief Salazaar. A proud, yet gentle man who had seen and participated in three wars. He had gained a rotund posture and soft eyes after years out of service. His face was coated in a fluffy, white beard, strongly resembling a cloud or heap of snow.

The interior of his home was littered with various inscriptions and charms on pieces of parchment. The floor had been fitted with an epicurean fur-rug from a polar bear. Surrounding the carpet were two seating areas with fox-skin cushions and eagle-feather pillows.

Ashai furrowed her brows. "-I thought the need for fur was for warmth?"

Ser Topaz sighed. "...And decoration, my Queen."

She turned to face him with a frown. "It's needless."

The mammoth's ivory beads that hung against the door rattled. "-The Queen of Aevahaven!" The Warchief grinned, with his arms outstretched.

He turned his attention to the strong ale that lay brewing by the fox-skin cushions. He poured himself a drink into one of the rhino horns that lay on its side.

He gulped down a horn.

"It's been a pleasure having you in my company, Hummingbird." He smiled, lifting the horn to cheers.

Ashai nodded, and returned a smile. "Up until only yesterday, I thought this was my home...I hope it will always be my home."

"How kind of you to say." He gulped his ale.

"-Word has spread quicker than I anticipated, my Queen." Ser Topaz said sheepishly.

Ashai furrowed her brows, worried. "What do you mean by that?"

"-The Fire Lord knows of you. He knows of your presence in the North. He has sent Shadow Riders to search for you. There is no telling how long they will be." He said. "My scouts in the West tell me they are on their way."

The Warchief spat on the ground. "-Shadow Riders. Dogs that follow the one who pays them. Not a hair of honour on their heads."

"I have never heard of these men." Ashai said stiffly.

"-And women." Ser Topaz corrected. "Anybody from The Shadow Lands who will fight for gold."

Ashai shook her head. "...But, how has he managed to get them to follow him if they come all the way from The Shadow Lands?"

Warchief Salazaar took a sip of ale. "-Blood dragons."

Ashai frowned and glanced at Ser Topaz in confusion. "Blood dragons?"

"-None of that now, Salazaar. Please. She has enough on her plate." He argued rigidly.

A teenage boy sprinted into the Warchief's home - rattling the bone against the doorway. He panted heavily, covered in blood.

"-My apologies! Ser, Warchief, please, we have an emergency!" He begged. His forehead was coated in sweat. So much so that his dark hair stuck to it. His sapphire eyes were struck red with fear. His teeth chattered as he spoke, yet he wore his fur.