۵Chapter Sixteen۵

Chapter Sixteen
Lady in Red

Sleepy Hollow

It was almost impossible to tell if the sky was darkening from the sun, or if the canopy of the leaves simply made it pitch black; losing track of time in the Hollow was almost a certainty.

Ashai rubbed Moonlight's neck, and brushed a hand through his silver mane. "We will find her, Ser." She assured him.

Ser Topaz sighed. He walked alongside her, feeling lost. He kept his sword in hand, and used the light from Moonlight's horn to lead the way. "Something tells me we will, but I fear I won't like it." He said.

"You must have faith, Ser. A Shadow Mare must have been through a lost worse than this, a vast forest." Ashai assured. "I'm sure she can't be far. Neither can the beast...The Black Devil - do you think it's another one of Elia's dragons?" She asked curiously.

"Princess, I think it could be anything." 

A wind whispered in the dark, a black mist swam through the tree stumps, and through them, covering them in darkness for a few moments. "I can't see." Ashai whimpered. Moonlight snorted and staggered. "Shh, boy. Shh." Ashai whispered shakily and gently touched his neck.

Ser Topaz touched the unicorn for fear of losing them. "It's okay. He senses something, my Queen. Something lurking in the shadows." He lifted his sword, stretching his eyes desperately to see further.

"We mustn't linger, Ser. We don't know what is out here." She pleaded. "Please, let's keep moving.-"

A loud shriek resonated through the air, followed by what sounded like screams and roars above them; Ashai darted her head up and looked around her, her head whipping from side to side, desperate to find the source of the noises. "Ser..." She shuddered.

"It's okay." He assured, and gently touched her hand that rested upon the reins. "It'll pass."

"The Black Devil?" Ashai whispered.

Ser Topaz focused on the noises. "It sounds like there could be more than one...whatever it is."

The air cleared up slightly, enabling them to move a bit quicker. But with the first step they took forward, a loud crash sounded near them - as if something had fallen into the forest in great force, taking the trees it. Moonlight whinnied and stepped back a few paces, and Ashai struggled to keep him calm. "Shh..." She begged. 

"Come on." Ser Topaz ushered, and moved forward, not taking his hand off of Moonlight's bridle.

A small clearing appeared ahead through branches and bramble. Though still coated in heavy grassland and flora, there was a significant space. It seemed unnatural. As the meadow was only created by trees being turned aside. A somewhat garden of bones remained. Stumps and branches, and a great crater in the centre.

A swift chill came through the air and brushed past Ashai's ear. She shivered gently, and the mist was gone.

"This place is making me uneasy. It's so unnatural." She said, glancing at the space.

"Something has caused great damage here." Ser Topaz frowned and scanned the barren floor. "Barely a patch of green in sight."