۵ Chapter Fifteen ۵

Chapter Fifteen
sacrifice

Sleepy Hollow
A caliginous shroud of black trees and dark magic. Nobody speaks of what lies beyond its canopy of vehement flora and inhabitants. Elves, faeries, centaurs, nymphs and even lake mermaids. Though, those are only a few of what books tell us. Most people are less than eager to explore themselves.

The night came.

Shadows blended into one another under cover of two crescent moons. The only light available was from the dwindling fire emanating from the torch the elf held in her dainty hands.

"You must be careful here, ice eyes. Nobody has seen one with your description before. They will be more than intrigued." She said.

Ashai frowned, and tucked a strand of ashen hair behind her ear. "They can't be more interested in me than Moonlight."

"The light the moon sheds?" The elf frowned and glanced up at the canopy of dark trees.

Ashai let out a small chuckle. "That is my unicorn's name."

"Ah," the girl said, she peered at the unicorn that walked beside them, "it's a pretty thing. What does it do?"

"He can heal you if you are hurt, rejuvenation. He can sense danger and grant wishes. His horn can project heat and light." She answered with a soft smile.

"This horn," the elf paused and glanced up at the unicorn, "it is of value?"

Ser Topaz frowned and scowled at her menacingly. "You, nor anyone else, will not lay a finger on him."

The elf begrudgingly nodded with a quick sigh. "We are close."

Ashai could barely see ahead of her. Her eyes kept to the floor, to avoid Moonlight falling over rocks or tripping over twigs. There was no shortage of forest, and the leaves shone with the hue of the yellow flame as they passed.

A few leagues ahead revealed a small encampment, and slowly, more and more torches appeared. Elves scarpered though the light. Some carried make-shift crates of food and resources. Others were using spades and shovels to dig holes in the ground; large leaves covered bodies that lay beside them. An elf that ran past Ashai was missing an eye and an arm.

"What happened here..?" Ashai asked, pity straining from her voice, dismounting from Moonlight. "You always told me the elven forests were a sight to behold, Ser. This...this is disaster."

Ser Topaz had furrowed brows, also dismounting his mare, his deep yellow eyes searched the bodies of the fallen. "It was never like this. Never."

The girl that held the torch turned to face Ser Topax and stopped them in their tracks. "You know nothing of this land - dark skin. This is not your place." She spat.

"His place is by my side. He belongs with me. You know nothing of his skin." Ashai stepped forward to defend her mentor.

The elf growled. "He is wrong! For years we have suffered. It is not something that came about just now. It has been draining us for many, many moons." She begged. "The King lifted us up, he gave us a home. This next King is not so kind. He burns our homes."

A loud piercing shriek came from the skies. So loud, the frequency made Ashai clutch her ears in panic and pain; her heart thumping in her chest.

"The Black Devil! The Black Devil!" The elf cried. Screams overpowered the camp as they rushed into their tree-trunks, hiding burrows and bushes, desperately clutching one another.