۵ Chapter Seven ۵

Chapter Seven
the expanse

The Glacial Expanse
Home to the richest of the Northern Houses. A beautiful city, surrounded by an iced moat, only accessible through the two bridges connecting it to the mainland.

It stations itself upon a large mountain, shielding itself from unwelcome trespassers by its frozen moat, and the colony of alpine centaurs making their homes around it. It is considered a rather proud city, somewhat snug and gallant in the way it towers over the smaller villages that surround it.

Like fingers on a glove, it can survive without them, and the citizens know this. The people whom inhabit The Glacial Expanse are especially proud, holding up the reputation of the city they live in. They relish in having, and displaying, great dignity and nobility.

It is the southernmost town in the North, signifying where the temperature turns the water to freezing point.

From the feeble mountainside just outside the Southern Border of The Queen's Veil, peering closely grants you a small glimpse of the tip of the great bastion tower - home to the mages of the North.

The snowfall had slowed to a stop, leaving a soft, thick layer of white sea.

Moonlight drifted through the white water, his hooves entirely covered. Beside him, a former Shadow Mare now held Ser Topaz upon her back. Her dark armour encrusted with diamonds, and her beautiful, braided mane tied with superiority; an expensive mount.

They rode for the proud city of The Glacial Expanse, the southernmost city of the Northern Kingdom, marking where the water turns to ice.

Moonlight trod through the heavy snow, his hooves plodding deep into the sea of white, and kicking up clouds of dust.

"-The Glacial Expanse is a very proud city." Ser Topaz lifted his helm to wipe the snow from his long, dark hair held back in a tail. "We will make sure to just pass through. Don't talk to anybody, and keep your head down - we don't want the attention of bounty hunters."

"Bounty hunters?" Ashai repeated nervously.

"Yes, my Queen." He placed the helm back on his head. "Bounty hunters. Word will have spread of what happened at The Queen's Veil, people will be searching for the girl with white hair, opal eyes and pale skin. How many people in the North do you know with that description?"

"-You told me the people would want to see me on the throne." She argued.

Ser Topaz smiled. "All in good time, my Queen. Once they see you for who you truly are."

The sky lightened, and clouds cleared. The sun pierced it's way through.

Ashai watched the sunlight bounce off the sharp edges of the frozen moat, and the feathered snow bridge connecting the shrouded winter forests.

"We are nearly there, my Queen. It's not far now. We just have to cross the snow bridge, and through the city."

"-You make it sound easy, as though there aren't hundreds of people looking for me."

"Not hundreds," Topaz chuffed, "mayhaps thousands."

Ashai wrinkled her nose at his snide comment, but brushed it off like the snow on her shoulder.

They approached the snow bridge. Tons of people were coming and going - some carting wagons of goods, other soldiers atop horses on their way to patrol.

Ashai became acutely aware of the height of the drop below her; her stomach turned in response. A crowd of merchants carrying wine barrels and crates cloaked them from the guards standing either side of the gate.

The sounds were overwhelming, people shouting lodging terms, brothel rates and deliveries. Horses and cart packed to the brim with crates crossed their way through the sea of heads. Smells of waste, food, wine, and sex hummed through the streets.

The snowy ground was filthy, sewage water froze to the cracks in the stone. The stench was overwhelming.

Looking up at the stone buildings revealed several taverns, brothels and markets, selling all she could imagine, and more.

A prayer hall, with the Sun and Moons faith sigil atop it, rested in the centre upon entry. Men in red and orange robes stood around the entrance with copies of the holy text in their hands. The women of the chapel, dressed in blue and grey were seated at a nearby table, surrounded by children.

People turned to stare at the unicorn she rode atop of. Many stopped in their tracks to watch in awe as he walked by.

"-Is it obvious they have never seen one before?" Topaz smiled.

Ashai furrowed her brows. "Isn't that bad? People are looking at me."

Ser Topaz narrowed his eyes. "Let them look. They won't see."

Ashai frowned, but continued on through the stone streets. The city was but a half league long, but felt like forever. 

It was almost impossible to hear herself think amongst the racket of the city. She wasn't sure she liked it.

"Is this what Anguis is like?" Ashai asked curiously.

Ser Topaz nodded slightly. "It was...but bigger, and better. The Rose Palace was once a breeding ground for settlers and merchants alike. Yet, after it was destroyed, it's nothing but a sweatshop. I have no idea what it looks like after the rebuild. And I don't presume to guess with all of the dragons that roam there now."

Dragons?

By the time they reached the near end of the city, the sun had passed half the sky, and the majority of the buildings had no shadows. The merchants grew smaller, and seemingly the houses did too. It was nothing more than a wasteland by the end.

Ashai frowned and looked around her. "Where are all the buildings? I haven't seen anything since we crossed the Chambermaid inn."

"-You've never heard of the Giant of The Expanse?" He smiled. "No, you wouldn't have."

Ashai raised a brow. "The what?"

"The Giant."

"Giants aren't real. They're just stories." She frowned in disbelief.

Ser Topaz grinned. "Ah, as aren't unicorns." He glanced at Moonlight with a raised eyebrow.

She sighed and glanced to her right where a lonesome shack sat. A man sat upon a stool outside of it, sharpening a small blade.

He had a piece of grain hanging out of his mouth, and a dirty face covered by a large beard. His cap covered his eyes, yet it felt like he was staring.

Ashai felt threatened, but she wasn't sure why. She cleared her throat and urged Moonlight to trot.

"What's the hurry, my Queen?" Topaz asked as she scurried ahead.

"There's something not right about this city."