2-Promise

2 more years have passed and Harry, though only 8, had learned and memorized almost the whole of A Fundamental Guide to Magic, Comprehension, and Fun by Mercy A. Jenkins. His hair was still messy as ever and he wore a pattern sweatshirt Moony had sent him for his 6th birthday. Though it wasn't the best of qualities, he still loved it.

He kept wishing that by the time he read the whole book, Moony would visit him. But letters were the only thing fueling his wish now. That was until a late birthday present arrived while the Dursleys were away for that summer week. They had left Harry with Mrs. Figgs, the neighbor next door, figuring he would only burden them if he went along.

Harry didn't mind at all since he already knew he would only feel even worse if he were with them. He was too cunning for his own good. Whenever Mrs. Figgs dozed off on her couch, he would use the opportunity to climb over the fence and through the kitchen window of his aunt's house to have a little privacy.

It was a few days after his birthday and he was sure Moony had forgotten to send him present. He kept hoping that he was wrong, that Moony wouldn't forget him. So everyday, after the Dursleys had left for their vacation, he would sneak back to the house and sit in the kitchen, re-reading the book and waiting for the parcel to come.

And his patience proved fruitful when a tawny owl pecked on the window, an envelope in its beak. But there was no parcel, so Harry quickly thanked the owl as he removed the letter. He quickly opened the envelope and read the letter.

Dearest Harry,

I'm so excited to tell you. Padfoot's trial went well and he's a freeman now. I had to threaten that old Dumbledore just to issue a trial for him. I know Padfoot, he would never have betrayed James and Lily. I can't explain it well here. So we'll talk more when I come pick you up. I'm keeping my promise. I'll be waiting at the front door at 3 o'clock tomorrow so remember to pack your bags.

Lots of love,

Moony

P.S. be ready to meet Padfoot.

Harry's heart thumped loudly in his chest. He re-read the letter two more times. Leave. Away from here. He was finally going to be away from here. Harry gave a loud whoop and jumped to his feet. He raced back to his cupboards to pack the things he had received from Moony. Mainly his favorite book, another sweatshirt he got from Moony, a picture book of the wizarding world, and a few other things he could fit in his small satchel.

He tied up the satchel and hid it back under the floorboards. The Dursleys were coming back tomorrow, he had to be careful if he wanted to meet Moony. Harry once again, climb out the window and over the fence back to Mrs. Figgs house right as she woke up.

That night, Harry was giddy with excitement like he never had before. He kept imagining what Moony and Padfoot would look like. And after pondering for a while, he made a decision that he would love them no matter who they are. When Harry finally fell asleep, he dreamt of warm barking laughter and a man with scars on his face smiling kindly at him.

He woke up the next day to loud rapping on the front door of Mrs. Figgs' house. Not wanting to bother her, he went to open the door despite knowing it was most likely his uncle Vernon. He silently turned the lock and opened the door to see uncle Vernon fuming, a large vein on his forehead can be seen pulsing as if he would explode any moment. Uncle Vernon grabbed him brutishly and continued to rant about the letter that he read on the kitchen table.

"I had just returned from our week-long vacation and right away, what do I see, boy? A letter on the table stating that you are going to run away with who knows what kind of a lunatic named Moony?" He yelled into Harry's ear while slamming the front door of his house closed loudly. " I should have burned all those packages that you always received. Burned them straight to hell. Always knew you were one of those unusual freaks, ... MONSTERS!"

Harry struggled for him to let go of the scruff of his neck, but he was powerless as Vernon threw him into his cupboard. Harry could hear his bones crack under the pressure of the fall and he rubbed his head from where it had hit the wall.

"You are staying here until that lunatic goes away. You are going nowhere! Do you hear me boy?" Uncle Vernon spoke to him through the vent on the door while he secured the locks to the cupboard. Then he left with a huff of satisfaction.

His hope withered and his eyes sting with tears. He wasn't careful enough, now they knew about Moony. He should've been more careful.

But he wasn't going to cry. He wasn't going to give up. I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to cry. Harry kept telling himself this despite the tears already falling silently down his cheeks. His sobs were so faint, that even he could barely hear himself.

And just like that, Harry cried himself till he was too exhausted to open his eyes. He had missed breakfast as well as lunch and he was sure that the Dursleys wouldn't let him have dinner either.

Just before he surrendered to the darkness, he heard knocking on the front door. Aunt Petunia's shrill voice answered as she went to open the door. When she saw the person, he could hear her gasped loudly before asking hesitantly if the man was Remus. But before he could find out more, he had already fallen unconscious.