4 - Safety and Warmth

Voices whispering softly and a warm furry body hugging him. Harry didn't know who or what it was. He didn't want to wake up. He didn't want to believe that he had missed his chance to meet Moony. If this warm feeling was only a dream, then he didn't want to wake up. But he knew he had to.

When Harry opened his eyes, he was confused to see an unfamiliar surrounding. His breath hitched and he panicked. Did the Dursleys finally decided to throw him in an orphanage? Is that where he is right now?

He looked down to see a huge black dog, a german shepherd to be exact. The dog was snoozing, but awoke when he started wiggling free. It gave an excited bark and pounce on Harry, licking his face. Harry giggled and tried to push the dog back down. He rubbed the dog's head and scratched it's ears.

"Get off me,... Good dog." Harry looked around the room again to try and see any clues to tell him where he was. After a while, he frowned and looked at the dog, asking hesitantly, " Do you know where I am? Where's your owner?" He sighed, of course the dog wouldn't know, it can't talk. He looked down at his legs, they were all patched up, bandages on the scratches, and he can still smell the scent of herb ointment on his arms.

The dog gave him one more lick on the cheek before giving a soft bark and running out the door next to his bed. Harry tried to follow but his head felt like it was packed with stones when he tried to stand up. He staggered and his vision blurred. Uncle Vernon sure had a hard throw, he thought as he stumbled out the door and tried to locate any other person in the house. He didn't know if they're bad people, so he decided to stick to the shadow side of the hallway.

Harry froze when he saw the silhouette of a person walking towards him. He didn't know whether to run or hide. His head was still aching so his only option was to cower in a ball, curled up tightly and hope the stranger didn't see him.

The man crouched down and spoke softly, "Hi Harry... I'm not going to hurt you."

Harry looked up from his arms and observed the man. He was very tall and his long hair fell over his face when he crouched down to Harry's level. He wore black ripped jeans and a white shirt. Harry could see tattoos all over his left arm. The man smiled and Harry thought he looked a little wolfish. What if he's a gangster? Did he kidnap Harry for a ransom?

"How do you know... my name? Who... who are you?... I don't have any money and the Dursleys hate me so they won't pay you any money." Harry quietly replied to the man. If he could just get the man to show him where the front door is, then he could probably escape. He didn't know this man, and he didn't want to trust him either.

The man pouted a little when Harry asked who he was and he frowned when Harry mentioned the Dursleys. Finally, he replied, "I didn't kidnap you, Harry. Don't you remember me, I'm Padfoot." He looked at Harry happily and continued, "I think we should go talk to Moony as well. And I bet 10 galleons, you're hungry too. Why don't we head down to the kitchen."

He didn't know how to respond. If this man was Padfoot, then Moony was also here. He did know one thing, and that was, he trusted Moony. If Moony trusted Padfoot, then he also trusted Padfoot. He stood up slowly and looked at Padfoot again, expecting him to lead the way. What he didn't expect was to be engulfed in a massive bear-hug from the other. Harry tensed but relaxed after he felt that the other truly wouldn't hurt him.

When Padfoot pulled back, his eyes were shining a little from unshed tears. He smiled wolfishly again grabbed Harry's hand as he led the way to the kitchen. Harry was still confused, but he liked Padfoot. He felt like he had known Padfoot before. The name was so familiar and yet he just can't find any memory of it.

As they approached the kitchen, Harry heard gentle humming and the delicious smell of chicken soup and hot fresh-baked bread. The smell of good food was enough for his to stomach growl loudly and he blushed when Padfoot chucked.