Chapter 5

The weeks that passed after the announcement of the Elite were filled with classes with Celia and gossip about the Italian Royal Family. I'd taken Derek up on his offer and used every spare second I had to visit the kitchens. The chefs were kind and didn't object to me messing around with food and asking them questions. It was a dream come true, but with the arrival of the Italians I couldn't sneak my way down there.

Instead, I stood awkwardly in the corner of the Great Hall with Erika, absentmindedly picking at a stray thread of my mint green and pink dress. My maids had really outdone themselves this time.

Erika and I watched from afar as the Italians mingled amongst the the Royal Family and the rest of the Elite. The Royals had clearly known each other for a long time and spoke like old friends. Soon enough, Derek found the two of us and approached, Prince Samuele beside him. I'd never even heard of the Italian Prince until Celia's lesson, but nearly all the other girls had. I wouldn't deny that he was attractive, with his sharp jaw line and caramel colored eyes that drew you in, but he seemed far too arrogant for my tastes.

"There you two are," Derek chuckled. "I wanted to introduce you all to Sam."

Prince Samuele smirked, flashing a set of pearly white teeth and an accent that would have sent most girls swooning . "Hello ladies."

"Your Highness." Erika and I curtsied.

"Please, don't. I'm not the one you should curtsy to," he chuckled before leaning closer. "So tell me. How bad of a kisser is he?"

His accent became more pronounced with each word as Derek rolled his eyes. They were an interesting pair, the two of them. I found it hard to believe that they were best friends, but I supposed growing up together as crown princes would create a sort of bond between them. I couldn't help the little laugh that escaped me, and Samuele's eyes flitted to mine in surprise.

"Oh shut up, Sam," Derek crossed his arms and inclined his head towards Erika and I. "He's all talk."

Before either of us could say anything, Genevieve sauntered over. "Flirting already, Sam?"

Samuele chuckled and took her arm in his. "What're you talking about, Gen?"

She rolled her eyes and turned to look at us. "Don't listen to Sam. He's all trouble."

I certainly wouldn't disagree that statement. In the few minutes we'd been speaking with him, I could already tell that the Italian prince was a massive flirt. As Genevieve began to lead Samuele away, Derek turned his focus to Erika. Anyone could see that at the moment, he only had eyes for her. It didn't hurt that Derek looked at her the way he did, as if she'd hung the stars in the sky, but it hurt that there wasn't someone looking at me the way he did. I turned my focus away from the two of them only for my eyes to lock with Sam's. He raised an eyebrow and for a moment it felt as if he could see all of me, what I was thinking, what I was feeling. I turned my gaze away quickly, shaking off the strange feeling his gaze made me feel.

~~~

After the longest dinner of my life and a bath in my room, I snuck down to the kitchens. Samuele had made googly eyes at dinner all night, inspecting each girl as if she was some sort of specimen. Here though, it was quiet, the staff having disappeared to their quarters. I sighed, content to be alone, and breathed in the smell of freshly baked bread and spices that made the kitchen feel like home. I'd brought my recipe book from home and set it down on the counter as I moved to get ingredients. I wasn't great at desserts but I'd been working on pastries with my grandmama before I left for the palace. 

I hummed to myself as I began to work on the dough, throwing the ingredients into the bowl practically  from memory. I could hear my grandmama's and Callida's voices in my mind, encouraging me in ways that my parents never had.