Chapter 10

WARNING: This chapter contains spoilers. If you have not read Another One, do not continue unless you wish to be spoiled.

"You know, if your parents catch me in here, they'll probably throw me out," I mused, not exactly serious, as Sam woke me up gently by kissing the skin behind my ear.

"Mmm. I'd like to see them try," he teased, draping his arm around my waist as he tugged me back towards him.

"Because they've caught you sleeping with other girls before?"

He froze and I felt his demeanor shift. "Liana. Just because you're not the first girl I've been with..."

"I know. I know," I sighed, shifting so that I faced him. "I just don't want them to think I'm just...a fling."

"You are not just a fling." Sam reassured me, his accent smooth as his voice took on a deeper tone. "My parents know that because I told them you aren't. I've never told them about any of my relationships because I've never felt this way towards anyone else."

"And what is that way?" I teased.

"Cheeky thing," he tickled my side and placed a kiss on my nose. "I love you."

"I love you too, Sam."

I smiled, enjoying another few moments of being tangled up in bed with him. Ever since our first time together, we'd been careful to keep our nightly visits secret. We'd taken to keeping extra clothes in each other's rooms and Sam had showed me the secret passages that allowed us to avoid being caught walking out a bedroom door.

Soon enough, though, Sam rose out of bed, stretching as he grabbed undergarments for the both of us. We dressed quickly and I kissed him goodbye before slipping out through the passage in his closet. Only a few minutes later, I found myself in my own room, before leaving quickly to make it to breakfast. I arrived just on time, only a moment behind Sam's parents.

Queen Nicoletta smiled, placing a kiss on both my cheeks as I sank into my seat. A maid quickly poured me a cup of coffee as King Antonio gave me a hello before turning his focus back to Prince Luca and Princess Gabriela. Sam walked in with a smile, greeting his mother and father, before placing a nonchalant kiss on my cheek and helping himself to breakfast.

It had become a sort of routine with his family and I relished in the thought of it. A family. As far as I was concerned, the only family I still had at this point was Ezra. But I had begun to see a future for myself here. And I knew Sam felt the same way. 

My Italian had improved immensely and I may or may not have overheard him discussing obtaining a ring with his parents. We'd discussed marriage before and neither of us were opposed to it. But I knew he wanted to wait until Derek proposed. No matter who was on the other end of that proposal.

The day passed in an enjoyable blur. Sam spent the day working with his father, while I spent mine helping Nicoletta. I felt a surge of pride as Nicoletta complimented my work and my improvement in my time staying with them. Everything was falling into place.

Only later, as we all relaxed in the family sitting room, playing board games, did I fear that everything had already fallen apart.

A guard knocked on the door urgently, carrying a newspaper that looked like the ones back home in Illea. I exchanged a glance with Sam as his parents scanned it before handing it over to us. I nearly collapsed when I read the front cover.

"She's back? Derek really brought her back! Can he even do that?" I exclaimed as I stared at the photo of Erika, Erika, on the Report with three of the other Selected.