Chapter 9

~A week later~

Mark's POV

I woke up especially early this morning, my nerves humming. Today was a very special day. I walked down into Aaron's kitchen and grabbed the makings for French toast. I hummed as I worked busily making a birthday breakfast for this Brit who had stolen my heart without even knowing it. He had been getting so much better than he had been just last week. His ribs were a lot less prominent and the cut on his wrist was healing nicely. Sometimes I would still find him staring at a doorway or at the couch with tears in his eyes. In those instances the moment he would see me he would wipe away his unshed tears and would smile at me as though they hadn't even been an idea. I pretended not to notice when he would do this but it always twisted my heart. That's why I decided to do this for him, so that he may be able to smile for real and not just to smile for me but for himself as well.

Yami's POV

I lie in bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about how my last birthday had gone. Jess had been out of town so I had gone up to visit my parents. While I was up visiting them I had been surprised to find Jess around the town. She hadn't been at my parents and I guess that'd been when I first got worried. She had been sneaking around behind my back for nearly a year before she had come out and said that she was cheating on me. Even though a small part of me knew it was coming I had fallen for her traps when she had she had loved me just the day before. That's probably why it broke me so badly. She had lied and I believed her with all my heart. Now that she's gone I feel like my heart has been ripped from my chest. Not to mention that every time I see Mark my chest and throat tightens. I know what that feeling means but I just don't want to scare him away. He's been so kind to me this past week. Always he's by my side, making me feel so much better. Whenever I find myself alone, I'm thrust into memories of Jess.

Slowly my door creaks open and Mark walks in flipping the lights on.

"Happy birthday Aaron!" he yelled handing me a plate of French toast drizzled with syrup a light dusting of powdered sugar on top. Exactly the way I like them.

"Thanks Mark," I said digging in. He looked at me strangely as I ate and I wondered what was going through his head.