Darker Than Robotropolis

Back at the apartment, the conversation between Sonic and Shadow resumes.  Shadow sneers... 

"Your so-called friends did it... or at least, this world's version of them did. Knuckles, Rouge, even Amy and Tails. Some friends. But I saw that it was you. I recognized the sports tape and the extra bit of blue, and just the way you move. I knew it was you, Sonic. So I pulled you out of the water and as long as you're here, I plan on protecting you from them, and anyone else who tries to hurt you."

Sonic stands then holds his torso in pain and sits back down.

"Yikes, it's like somebody broke my ribs. Big time ouch, man."

Shadow continues to stare bitterly at Station Square.

"Any idea how I got here, Shads?" Sonic asks, lying down on the couch. "This couch is soft by the way. Reminds me of the one me and Knuckles spilled nachos on at Amy's house."

"Hmph," Shadow pouts, "You're obviously not talking about the Knuckles and Amy that live here in this world. Eggman announced to the city that two Sonics meant one of you had to be a fake and needed to go. That's when he told everyone you were an evil robot and that you wouldn't feel anything if they drowned you. Why anyone would listen to him is beyond me."

"Hey Shadow, stop," Sonic insists, with a weak wave of his hand.

"Sorry, it just made me so angry," Shadow admits, clinching his fists, "Pathetic, black-hearted, double-crossing..."

Sonic closes his eyes and tries to relax, telling poor, pissed-off Shadow, "Thanks Shadow, for saving me."

Shadow recollects, somberly.

"Last time I saw you, Snively had shot you."

Sonic holds his torso again.

"Ouch, that makes my ribs hurt even more. You got any chili dogs around here? I need a pick me up from all this gloom and doom."

Shadow zooms into the kitchen and assembles a chili dog freakishly fast. He serves it to Sonic on a shining china plate. He also gives Sonic a sparkling glass of crystal-clear water. Sonic sits up and smiles pleasantly, responding with...

"Wow, that was almost faster than me! Thanks, Dude!"

He takes the plate, scarfs the chili dog, and downs the water.

"You're welcome, Rugged Sonic."

"Just Sonic is good," Sonic tells Shadow.

He finishes, leans back, then belches.

"Haha! Oops. Dang, that was delicious. Who knew Shadow the Hedgehog was a chef? I could eat ten of those."

"Ten of those can be arranged," Shadow tells him, about to zoom back into the kitchen.

"Hold on," Sonic says, reaching for Shadow's arm.

"Huh?" Shadow replies, stepping backwards and plopping next to Sonic on the couch.

Sonic reassures him, with a peppy grin, "I can have more chili dogs later... Bestie."

Shadow sits back, finally easing up a bit.

"Oh okay, then I'll take care of it later, when you're ready."

Sonic beams. Shadow's tenseness subsides completely. He begins to open up.

"I'm not sure how or why you're here, but I have a theory that it's because I need you." He pauses then lovingly adds, "That's not the scientific reason why, obviously. That's just me being selfish because I'm so glad to see you. You probably need to go back to your universe but if it were up to me, you'd stay here with me indefinitely. If this world wasn't so horrible. Same evil that killed Maria, now it's after you..."

Sonic chuckles. "What part of enough already do you not understand, huh?"

"Melancholy is my shtick, you know that," Shadow reminds him.

"True, true," Sonic shrugs.

Shadow tells him, "sorry, this is bittersweet for me, okay?  Been trapped here for a while now and you're the only person I trust.  Good to have you, great even."

"You missed me, huh? I heart you too, Shadow."

Shadow gives Sonic a warm, half smile. Sonic nearly wants to pinch Shadow's cheek but instead continues with...

"When I'm feeling a little better we'll solve the mystery of how I got here and what it is I'm supposed to do while we're chillin' together again. I missed ya too, bro. I've thought about you many times."