How could they?!

Shadow visually grazes a massive, surrounding metropolis. Station Square, but swarming with Eggman-manufactured, well... everything. Robots, vehicles, buildings, heck even the vending machines read, Eggman Enterprises.

"What happened to this world? Is this even my home anymore? I'm sure I don't belong here. This can't be my universe. Why is Eggman in charge? How could anyone allow him to reign over this planet?"

He squints ahead, toward the bay.

"Something's going on near the ocean, I see. Sonic and his friends seem to be attacking someone. Why do I sense that they're fighting on the wrong side?  Why does my intuition tell me that they've lost sight of everything? Could it be because they've done nothing about this repulsive Eggman Empire? Whose the lucky victim this time? A malfunctioning robot? Someone who dared to defy the evil doctor, himself? Perhaps it's worth getting a closer look."

The curious yet wisely apprehensive hedgehog skates nearer, to a megabridge... just in time to see Sonic get smacked hard by Knuckles. Hiding himself behind one of the bridge's enormous, towering anchors, Shadow watches the red echidna pin the blue blur down, yelling...

"Stand down and let us fight this imposter ourselves then. This is too much for you handle, Sonic!"

"Knuckles, no! All of you stop! You're fighting against me!" Sonic yells, "stop listening to Eggman!"

Shadow's attention shifts to Rouge, Amy and Tails as they crowd someone, grunting and raging away, clearly beating another person up, and very badly. Shadow is shocked at the sight of those who would normally be his friends, behaving so violently towards... who could it be? Who else but Eggman deserves such a pounding?

One last growl from the group and then to Shadow's horror, he watches them lift their semi-conscious opponent into the air.  A fleet of spectating robots swarms by, cheering.

"No!" Sonic screams at the sight of... Shadow's heart nearly freezes.

It's Boom Sonic!

And have they all just... killed him?

FLING.  They chunk him right over the bridge!  The bots roar victoriously.

"What have they done?" Shadow whispers, mortified. He then races away from this nightmarish calamity and fiercely propels himself over the water.