Mixed Signals

....
Nessa POV

"Nessa, you almost done", Roni says as she walks into the bathroom.

Roni waits a second as I finish doing my hair.

She gives me an apologetic look,"you know you dont have to go right?".

I sigh and look at Roni through the mirror,"its his birthday, I cant do that to him".

Tom invited me to some afterparty/celebration thing that Marvel was hosting. I shouldnt be upset with him, he did nothing wrong. It's not his fault, he didnt know we kissed, how could he of known.

It just made me realize that he will probably never love me back anyway.

Part of me just doesnt want to go. I know lots of his fellow actors and friends will be their but I still think he would be upset if I didnt go, after all its also his birthday.
.....
Tom POV

I'm waiting for Nessa to show up. I normally would of picked her up but she insisted that she just take an uber.

In my nervousness, I try to smooth out the front of my suit. I have known Nessa for a while now, but some how she still gives me butterflies in my stomach.

A black car pulls in to the parking lot, the polished car reflects as it passes under the light poles. As the car comes to a stop, Nessa gets out.

Her hair and makeup is done flawlessly. Her dress shimmering a tiny bit as she gets out of the car. Finally her smile finishes the look.

I catch my self staring agian and walk up to her

I catch my self staring agian and walk up to her. She looks up at me for a second and then grabs my hand and starts walking.

My heart pounds hard against my chest, I turn to say something to her. For a second my mouth opens and nothing comes out.

I try again,"N..Nessa, you..you look beautiful".

She grips my hand a little tighter,"thank you". We get to the door.

"What would you like sir".

"Two waters please",I awnser.

While I wait for the drinks I turn around and look for Nessa. Shes still sitting at one of the tables, looking down, fidgeting with her ring.

There's definitely something wrong, instead of being her normal happy playful self, she has been quiet, barely speaking.

I walk back towards her, not waiting on the drinks. I grab her small hand and help her out of her chair. I pull her over to where everyone's dancing, then let go of her hand and turn towards her.

I know I'm not the greatest slow dancer but I'm trying my best, I just want her to be happy.

When I start dancing she gives me a confused look at first. I trip over my own feet as I dance, hearing her giggle every time I stumble.

"That's not how you dance, here I'll show you", Nessa says as she lightly laughs.

She grabs my hands and puts them on her waist, then she puts her hands on my shoulders.

My heart pounds against my chest, I try my best not to blush but I know it's not working.

I look at her eyes, then at her lips. I want to kiss her so bad. It would be so easy. Shes so close to me. I want to just tell her how I feel but I stop myself.

Shes my bestfriend i shouldnt think of kissing her. I try my hardest but my thoughts go back her and telling her how I feel.

Nessa looks up at me smiling, I lose concentration and stumble over my feet agian. Trying not to fall, I pull her into my chest.

"Sorry, I know I'm not the greatest dancer",I say starting to staighten back up.

Nessa holds on to me in a hug,"its ok".

There is silence for a second as we stand there swaying to the music, then Nessa speaks up in a soft tone,"do you really like me?".

I stroke her hair with my fingers,"of course I do, you're my best friend".

Nessa lays her head on my shoulder and once agian besides the music playing, there is quiet.

I'm thinking about her question, I could of anwsered differently. I could of told her the truth, how I felt. But I didnt and it's too late now, I dont want to ruin our friendship.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear light sobs coming from Nessa, her head still on my shoulder.

I open my mouth to say something.
.....
Nessa POV

I try to hold back the tears, it's just a boy I tell myself. But I cant help the tears, hes different.

I pull myself out of Tom's arms. Leaving him no time to say anything, I speak through tears,"I'm sorry, I just...I just think...think I'm gonna go home".

I turn away and head out the door, leaving Tom in the crowd.

I dont feel like calling an uber so I take off my shoes and start walking home.

Everytime I walk by someone, I feel them staring. I don't completely blame them, I'm walking barefoot in a full blown dress down the sidewalk, my eyes red from crying, tears still falling down my face.

I dont know why I asked him if he liked me. I guess part of me hoped he liked me back but it was clear he thought of us only as friends.

I shouldnt have left him there but I couldn't take it. He kept giving me mixed signals.

One moment he would hold me and act like we had something, then the next minute he would act like we were nothing more then friends.

I keep telling myself he's just a boy but I know or at least I thought there was something different about him.
......
Tom POV

I'm driving around trying to find Nessa, I just cant let her walk all the way home like that.

Its started to rain, of course the one time it would rain, stereotypical.

After forever I see her walking barefoot her hair and dress wet from the rain. I pull over and start to walk towards her but it's to late. She opens the door and goes into her house.

I start to follow her but I stop. Obviously something was wrong and she wanted to be alone at the moment.

I get back in my car and drive home, my hair and suit now wet from the rain.