Chapter 16

I could tell that Gram was aware that something was off with me from the moment I walked up to her. William and I picked her up from the bus station, much to her surprise, as she had been expecting me to call a taxi for her. I didn't realize how much I had missed her – my head had been swallowed up by other thoughts. I'm sure it showed on my face as I embraced her.

"Officer Davis, you didn't have to drive this long distance to pick me up, though I appreciate it."

"It's my pleasure, ma'am. I could tell Evalyn was itching to see you." I glanced up at William, his eyes soft as he looked at me. I think I loved this man – I really think I did.

Gram looked meaningfully between the two of us and hummed. William put her bag in the trunk and helped her get situated in the passenger seat. The weather was surprisingly pleasant for the end of summer, and I relished the feel of the wind on my face as we began our hour-long drive.

"Ain't you going to ask how your family is doing?" Gram's voice pulled me out of my reverie.

"Sorry Gram. How was it? How was everything?" I could tell she was unsatisfied with my questions. Before the day was up, or maybe even the car ride, she would wrest from my unwilling lips the cause of my disconnect.

"It was so good. I regret not making up with your Ma sooner. Your brothers are getting so big, and your father is as kind as ever."

I hummed in response, indicating I was listening. Gram carried on describing what they had done. William kept the conversation going with question after question. I smiled faintly to myself seeing them interact. William, like the goof he was, easily kept up with Gram's wisecracks and humor. If I wasn't beginning to feel the anxiety pooling in my chest at the thought of returning to town, I would have enjoyed the moment even more.

"Well, anyways, it must have been pretty lonely in that house all by yourself, Evalyn?"

William tensed, and I willed myself to lie and tell Gram that I had indeed stayed in the house while she was away. I didn't have the strength, though. I had no strength for anything.

"I wasn't home, Gram," I responded with a sigh.

"Where was you, then?"

"I stayed at William's house. It was simpler that way."

Everyone was silent after that. I observed William stealing furtive glances at Gram, trying to read her expression. I didn't care, frankly. I didn't care what anyone thought about me or what anyone had to say. Except for William, maybe.

"So what exactly is going on between you two?" Gram asked softly, after a little while. Silence.

"Nothing improper happened between the two of us, Mrs. Johnston."

"I don't doubt it, but what is going on, in general? Pardon my forwardness, but your interest in my baby is unnatural. I don't know what to make of it."

William sighed. "I'm in love with your granddaughter. I want to marry her. I know that's unconventional, but it's very much natural on my part, and it's the honest-to-goodness truth."

I'm sure my eyes were bugging out of my head.

"Is that so?" Gram responded simply, looking back at me.

"It is so, Mrs. Johnston. Evalyn isn't there, yet, but I'll wait for her."

Still looking at me, Gram responded, "Well then why she coming looking so sad today, officer? Something done happened, and what was the cause, if not you?"

"I'm fine, Gram. I'm just tired."

"What he done to tire you out?" she asked accusatorily.

I was beginning to get exasperated. "I've been sad and tired, and he's been helping me. He's not the cause."