Chapter 17

Evalyn was sweet and compliant. Those were the first two things I noticed about her when I talked briefly with her that first time in the Negro diner. She was poring over a newspaper, circling potential jobs. Her glance, her smile, the way she said my name – "Charles" – so shyly, her quick laughter – they all indicated that she desired to please people and make them comfortable. 

Without much trouble, I had inserted myself in her life, offering to walk her to and from work, whenever she landed a job. She had feebly protested initially but acquiesced moments after when I made it clear I wasn't backing down. We would be fast friends (and hopefully more) soon.

I envisioned Evalyn carrying my child, waddling about our house cooking and cleaning and singing. She would be a beautiful, domestic wife. She would be amenable and appreciative. She would respond with "yes dear" and "no dear" and take my word as truth. All this was clear to me in the midst of that first conversation we had.

Everything was going fine,  until William ass-wipe Davis started fiending for my future wife. In a way, I jubilated at the fact that I now had a concrete person to direct my anger and disdain towards and not just the general white mass that plagued the town and the country. I hated that man – truly hated him, but also relished the challenge. Evalyn was a prize to be won, and I would best that pale-skinned officer.

Though things were rocky, I was still confident that I would prevail. There was no way that Evalyn would truly be interested in her white employer. I was eager to see her again after the jumbled situation at the carnival. I know I had let my anger get the best of me at certain points, but she knew better and should have been behaving.

I loved her, and that's all that mattered. Just like my dad told me when he would lose his temper with mom here and there, Women want a passionate, strong man. The anger that sprung out of me at times was merely evidence of this passion and strength. This same fierce ardor would shield and protect Evalyn from the world. I would be her everything, and she would be mine.

A small part of me worried, though, that she was avoiding me. I had stopped by her grandmother's house in the evening several times this past week, and no one was home. I knew Mrs. Johnston was out of town but had expected Evalyn to be there. Something odd had transpired this week, I realized, when I talked to Mrs. Johnston. She, however, was not at all going to divulge more information to me. I knew that woman adored me – another thing in my favor – but seemed to have a lot on her mind.

I had contemplated stopping at officer white bread's house but decided against it. There was no use getting in a needless altercation with him. Out of respect for Evalyn, I liked to think that he wouldn't do any serious harm to me or my family, but I couldn't be sure. I know I needed to watch my behavior around him, despite my pride and desire for Evalyn roaring within me.

My friends liked Evalyn but didn't quite understand why I was so fixated on her. A few of them told me that I needed to "slow down" and "cool it". I appreciated my friends, but they were limp and passionless. They didn't understand the thrill of the chase and the satisfaction of claiming. Like my father, I was often misunderstood, but I knew Evalyn understood me. This was just another reason that solidified my conviction that we were to be together.

I could be patient, though. For Evalyn, I could be patient.