Monument

WX-78 had a pretty good thing going

WX-78 had a pretty good thing going. He had arrived to this strange world a mere 5 days ago, but he had a full functioning base, with a science machine, stone fire, and had begun wall preparations. It was late night, and he was staring at the moon. The moon was inorganic - and good. It was the only beauty WX-78's censors could recognize. It was the only thing he truly loved, and he would spend hours a night looking at it in pure awe and aspiration. The thought of the moon could even activate his empathy modules for a few seconds. It was the only feeling WX-78 would ever know.

Suddenly, a tiny green spark could be seen, falling to Earth rather quickly. WX-78's mechanical eyes followed it until it was no longer in view. What was that? I'LL INVESTIGATE LATER, he thought to himself. It was most likely just a moon rock. Than again, it was bright green. Not your day to day rock. He laid on the mat he had created, closed his robotic eyes,and powered down for the night, pushing the green out of his robotic mind.

(6)

The sound of gears turning scared off nearby rabbits in the forest as WX-78 made his way towards the green light in the distance, following the odd path. He had kept the promise he made to himself, armed with a spear and ready to attack, say this green thing be a sort of monster. Approaching closer, the flowers and plants seemed to be brighter, bigger, and healthier. He thought nothing of it - all forms of life were disgusting - but it was still rather odd. Soon, he pushed two large bushes down the middle, and saw perhaps the most horrid life form he had ever seen.

It was a light lime green plant monster, laying against a monument of sorts. It had pulled a large twig into a form of blanket, had a green gem in its chest, and was surrounded by flowers. They were growing out of it. It was WX-78's worst nightmare. This life form made other life forms better. Horrifying.

He took a few steps forward to inspect it further, when one of its eyes opened a little. Even worse. They were pure white, and glowed. Both of its eyes opened, and it gazed at WX-78 with wonder.

"YOU ARE A TRULY HORRIFIC LIFE FORM." WX said without thinking, though he really didn't care if he insulted it. It was disgusting. He could barely look at it.

"What?" It's voice was surprisingly... monster like, for some kind of plant. Yet, WX processed its words.
"I SAID-"
"Oh! Hello friend!" It suddenly piped up with enthusiasm, greeting WX in a childlike manner. Its eyes seemed to glow more then before, and the flowers around it also seemed brighter.
"I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND." WX corrected the life form sassily, narrowing his "eyes". This creature was friendly. God. It just gets worse and worse.

"Oh. You are, then?" It still smiled, not really caring WX didn't seem to enjoy its existence.
"MY PRONOUN IS WX-78. I AM A ROBOT... WHAT ARE YOU?"

     The creature looked at its "hands" (they were really just leaves) in confusion.
"I don't know."

"OKAY... DO YOU HAVE A PRONOUN?" WX-78 asked. A name would be a good start.

"I don't know that either." It looked to the ground in defeat. For a second, just a second, WX's empathy module turned on, but it was shot down by the... other module. WX did not talk about the other module. But that little second was enough time.

"I WILL GIVE YOU A NAME THEN."

WX's eyes widened. Had he really just said that? He was about to correct himself, but the look of glee in the horrid plants eyes made WX sigh and give in to what his empathy module had drawn him into. He glanced around for any sort of inspiration. The plant monsters left hand was resting on a log, and a little worm crawled across the rotting wood.

"WORM... WOOD. WORMWOOD."

"Wormwood! I like that name." The plant- Wormwood repeated back. The name wasn't fitting at all; but WX was too lazy to change it, and the plant  seemed to like it. WX glanced around, before looking back at Wormwood.

"HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN HERE?"

"Since last night." Wormwood began to play with his leaf hands.
"I tried to talk to some friends, but they didn't like me. I stayed here."

"...WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?" WX-78 asked slowly.

Wormwood smiled, and pointed at the gem in its chest, then to the sky, which was drawing into late evening.

"The moon."