"LARGE HOUNDS WITH SHARP TEETH."

WX-78 handed the freshly crafted bush hat to Wormwood

WX-78 handed the freshly crafted bush hat to Wormwood. Although it's sanity would take a toll from wearing one of its "friends" on its head, neither of them were prepared to fight off hound attacks of any sort, and weren't about to take any risks.

"Thank you Moon." Wormwood smiled at him, but WX-78 just nodded.

WX-78 turned to the science machine to make his own hat, but didn't have enough grass for a straw hat. He groaned audibly and turned to the nearby grassy biome.

"WAIT HERE. I NEED GRASS."

Wormwood nodded as WX-78 jogged over to pick some grass. It sat down and stared at a little rose on the ground. Wormwood waved. The rose made no response. Wormwood was about to try to talk to it when:

bark bark

It was quiet and almost silent, but both the living plant and the dead inside robot heard it. All the grass for at-least thirty feet was picked already, and WX-78 knew he wouldn't be able to get enough in time. The gears in his head began to turn. Wormwood was a small creature, and WX wasn't all that big either. Maybe they could both fit in a single bush hat? It was worth a shot, seeing as it was that or one of their lives.

WX-78 stood directly next to Wormwood, who stared at him with confused eyes as it put the bush on its head.

bark Bark

It suddenly clicked for the plant, who performed the action. Surely enough, they both fit in the hat rather well, but Wormwood ended up curled in WX-78's lap. It wasn't complaining, and neither was WX, but that was because if he made any noise the hounds might hear. However, in his artificial head, he was screaming in pure agony of having a living thing touching him.

BARK BARK

As the barking got louder, Wormwood began to shake. It was only 3-4 days old, and had no idea what hounds looked like. WX had described them as "LARGE DOGS WITH SHARP TEETH". Sharp teeth were good for biting into plants. It pulled itself closer into WX's metallic chest as the hounds drew near.

Surely enough, the hounds arrived, analyzing the area. One hound got dangerously close to the two, even sniffing at the bush a little. WX prepared to run, but since neither of them gave off a scent (being a robot and a plant from the moon) it eventually turned and pounced away. It took a lot of effort from WX to keep Wormwood quiet. It had no idea what the hounds truly looked like, and was terrified, as it should of been. WX-78 eventually resorted to covering its plant mouth and waiting it out. Soon the rabid dogs noticed some beefalo in the distance and took off after them, leaving the random bush alone. Slowly WX-78 and the still quivering Wormwood emerged from the bush, to see a miniature war between 5 hounds and 7 beefalo. You can guess who won.

"HAH! THEY DIED. CLASSIC MISTAKE." WX-78 chuckled, as Wormwood stared at him concerned. It turned away and noticed the little rose it had tried to chat with earlier ripped up. Red petals scattered across the area. It was like seeing the aftermath of a murder to the little plant.

"WHATS WRONG?" WX asked upon seeing the horrified expression Wormwood showed.

"Rose friend..." was all it could say, tears streaming down its face.

"... WHAT."

Wormwood sniffled as it picked up one of the petals and held it up gently.
"Poor friend.."

WX and Wormwood sat in mourning - atleast, Wormwood did. WX didn't really care at first, but when Wormwood turned its head to meet WX's holes in its face, his empathy module started going wild. It took every last bit of WX's stubbornness to not pounce the plant and hug it tight, tell it everything is okay. Instead, the robot sat next to the plant, and together they sat in silence.

For about a minute.

Suddenly, Wormwood jerked up, looking to the sky. WX flinched.

"WHAT? WHAT IS IT?"

Wormwood looked horrified. It glanced to the robot and muttered in fear -

"The moon breaks tonight."

I got locked out of my account for four months lol sorry

I now realize WX and Wormwood are both they/them but I'm too lazy to change it so live with it for now and they'll be agender next chapters