Chapter 13

Votes and comments, please :)

The next morning, Darcy awoke to find that Bingley had already left for London. He knew his friend had business in London, but he needed to know if Bingley was also thinking about possible matrimonial plans. He went in search of Miss Bingley.

Darcy went down for breakfast and found Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst engaged in a discussion of last night's ball. He listened to their conversation as he approached the room

"But Louisa, I cannot think why Mr Darcy asked Miss Eliza Bennet to dance! She is so impertinant to him and does not respect him, I don't know why is still attracted to her!"

"What else is there that attracts him apart from her fine eyes?" replied Mrs Hurst. "Though personally I do not see anything wonderful about her eyes."

Well, he thought absently, she is beautiful, independent, spirited, has a sense of humour, a sharp wit, and a capacity for great affection . . . .

"Why did he not dance with me? I am everything she is and more! I do not have relatives in trade or such a vulgar family and of course I am much more beautiful than her. All this time I have tried so hard to win his affections and . . . . "

With this reminder of Elizabeth, he allowed his mind to drift back to the ball. In his mind he re-lived the moment when she agreed to dance with him. Then the dance, and the pleasant feeling he experienced when their hands met . . .

By this point Darcy had reached the door. It was half-open and he knocked so that the ladies would have the chance to stop their conversation with dignity.

"Why, good morning Mr Darcy!" said Miss Bingley with a false smile. She exchanged a look with her sister across he table which Darcy did not miss. "I trust you slept well."

"Yes, I did, thank you," replied he.

Darcy really needed to know Bingley's intentions about Jane and decided to ask his sisters.

Mrs Hurst excused herself from the table, saying that she had better rouse Mr Hurst.

Or just Miss Bingley.

Darcy got a cup of tea and walked to the window.

"Miss Bingley, I have a matter of some importance to discuss with you . . . ." His words trailed off as he saw Miss Bingley's hopeful and eager face reflected in the glass. He decided not to mention it.

"It concerns your brother."

He watched as her face fell.

What was she expecting, a proposal of marriage?

"Miss Bingley, are you acquainted with your brother's intentions towards Miss Jane Bennet?"

"Why, yes," she said in a disappointed tone. "I believe there is some partiality for her on his side. But I, we have seen him in love many times so I doubt he is serious about her."

"Did he tell inform you of his business in London?"

Miss Bingley remembered vaguely - business with his attorneys, renew old acquaintances and such. But what caught Darcy's attention was a visit to the jewelers for a ring. Miss Bingley's information about Bingley going to the jewelers was the final proof that his friend was seriously thinking about proposing to Jane Bennet.

"Miss Bingley, I have reason to believe that your brother's affection for Miss Bennet is different from his earlier infatuations. It is very likely that he is serious enough to actually propose to her."

Miss Bingley was silent as she thought over this.

"I imagine that you share my opinion that Miss Bennet is not a good match for Bingley."