Chapter 34

Comments and votes, please :)

For the twentieth time that morning, Darcy looked out the window of Pemberley House, only to sigh with frustration as he did not see the carriages bringing his sister and guests. He had been awake since dawn, waiting for them to arrive. Forcing himself not to pace the room, he sat down in a chair and thought back to the day before. He had arrived home, decided to take a quick swim and met the last person he expected to see walking in his grounds. After hurriedly changing, he rejoined Elizabeth and met her aunt and uncle then conducted them personally on a quick tour of his estate. They had parted amiably, with a desire to meet again.

Darcy blushed again as he wondered how Elizabeth must have felt, suddenly seeing him, less formally attired than usual. Though each had been extremely shocked at the meeting, it did not seem as if the misunderstandings, pride, prejudice and other troubles were still there between himself and Elizabeth.

Yesterday's events were still very clear in his mind, but only one thing mattered at the moment.

Elizabeth was only five miles away, and not only did she no longer hate him but she was also willing to meet his sister.

Darcy smiled, imagining how delighted his sister would be to know that she would finally meet the woman who had affected his life so much.

A slight movement outside caught his eye. A closer observation proved that it was Georgiana and the Bingleys' carriage. Darcy leapt out of his chair and quickly went outside to greet them.

The first carriage slowed and came to a halt just in front of the stairs. Bingley exited first, then handed is spinster sister and Georgiana out. Behind them, Mr Hurst did the same to his wife. Georgiana smiled when she saw who was waiting to greet them. Darcy descended the stairs and told the carriage driver, who was about to leave, to wait for them.

"It is good to be home!" his sister said. Close by, Mrs Hurst and Miss Bingley were looking around appreciatively.

"So it is," said Darcy, taking his sister's arm. "But right now, there is someone I want you to meet."

Georgiana curiously asked who it was.

"We need to go to the Lambton Inn - she is staying there at the moment," continued he, side-stepping the question.

Bingley joined them in time to hear this conversation.

"She? Who is here, Darcy?" he asked.

Unable to restrain himself any longer, Darcy anounced, "Miss Bennet and her aunt and uncle are five miles away in Lambton!"

This brought all conversation to a halt. Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst looked striken, Bingley hopeful and Georgiana pleasantly surprised.

"Which Miss Bennet?" asked Bingley urgently.

Darcy looked at his friend, who was obviously hoping it was Jane Bennet. "Miss Elizabeth."

There was complete silence for a moment, broken by Georgiana's happy exclaimation, "She is here? You have seen her?"

Bingley was disappointed, but his face still expressed delight. Georgiana was impatient and dying of curiosity to meet the famous Miss Elizabeth Bennet, whom she had heard so much about. Miss Bingley and Hrs Hurst, however, were looking at each other, shocked. Darcy revelled in their expresssions for a moment, then turned his attention back to his sister.

"Yes, I have seen her, and I am quite anxious for you to meet her. Would you come with us, Bingley? Miss Bingley?"

Bingley with no surprise, immedietly accepted. Miss Bingley did not answer immedietly; Darcy watched desire to come and desire not to struggle for supremacy on her face. After a few moments, she declined.