Chapter 47

Comments and votes, please :)

Soon after breakfast, Bingley and Darcy were leisurely riding across the fields to a destination three miles away. As the distance between them and Longbourn decreased, Darcy did his best to calm himself.

Don't look at her; remember, you are to observe Jane, he kept repeating to himself.

Soon, they had entered the paddock near Longbourn and were riding towards the house. Darcy fancied he saw some movement behind one of the windows but ignored it. All too soon, they had arrived. They dismounted and entered the house.

They were greeted at the door by the housekeeper. She asked them to wait while she announced their arrival. From the muffled sounds coming from the drawing room, Darcy imagined the female members of the Bennet family were quickly preparing for the gentlemen's visit.

"Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, ma'am," announced the housekeeper, entering the room before them.

Bingley quickly walked inside, a large smile on his face as he saw the ladies of the family inside. Mr. Bennet, Darcy imagined, was enclosed in his library. Quietly, seriously, Darcy followed Bingley. Proceeding through the usual ceremonious greeting, he chanced a quick glance at Elizabeth. There was no smile on her face like he so fondly remembered.

Bingley was warmly received by Mrs. Bennet, who in contrast, was pointedly cold and polite to Darcy. Darcy did not mind so much as he might have, knowing her bad opinion of him had been well founded. However, when he looked again at Elizabeth, she blushed slightly, as if ashamed for her mother. He wished that he could reassure her, that he did not hold any resentment against Mrs. Bennet but it was impossible to do so.

Mrs. Bennet quickly accosted Bingley in conversation, leaving her daughters, sitting at the table working at their embroidery and Darcy, standing to one side. Though he stood close to Elizabeth, she did not look at him.

"Miss Elizabeth," Darcy addressed her after some minutes, "how do your aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner?"

She turned slightly to look at him.

"I believe they are quite well, or they were when I saw them last," replied Elizabeth, sounding somewhat confused.

Darcy nodded, knowing he must put some distance between himself and her before he was tempted to further the conversation. He quietly moved to stand behind Bingley, who was seated facing Mrs. Bennet. Mrs. Bennet was still gaily chatting to Bingley, completely ignoring him. Her daughters were silent, their eyes lowered to their work.

Thoughtfully, he turned his eyes to Jane Bennet.

Time had not dimmed her beauty, and though she seemed busy, he fancied he observed her glance every now and again at Bingley. Though she seemed serene, there was something of hope and longing reflected in her eyes whenever she looked at his friend.

Opposite Jane sat Elizabeth. Darcy found his eyes wandering to her and had to keep reminding himself of his objective on this visit. When he had caught himself looking at Elizabeth for the fifth time, he mentally chastised himself and turned his eyes to the floor. Suddenly, she asked him,

"Mr. Darcy, I hope Miss Darcy was well when you left her?"

Surprised, he glanced up and replied, "Yes, she is very well."

There the conversation ended.

"It is a long time, Mr. Bingley, since you went away," said Mrs. Bennet.

He readily agreed to it.

"I began to be afraid you would never come back again. People did say that you meant to quit the place entirely at Michaelmas; but, however, I hope it is not true."