21.

kane's pov.

I glanced back at my RS Q3 wondering if I had locked it. I couldn't remember doing it but felt like I would have done it. I shook the thought away and just pressed the lock button on my key anyway. I've had the car all of 2 months and wanted to switch it up already. I changed my cars often so no-one ever knew what I was driving. No one could pull up on me or spot my car on road.

I continued to walk into the front garden of my sisters house, opening the gate on my way and closing it again. Shay was 2 years younger than me. She lived with her mum Anita whilst she got through university but she was always complaining. Her mum was a mess. I used to think my dad just had a weird type when it came to dating but now I realised he just came to fuck up lives and cut - including my own mother. Though, i'm not sure why Shay didn't live with me and my dad growing up considering what her mums like.

I knocked on the front door and waited all of 10 seconds before Anita opened it. Lit cigarette in one hand and a opened bottle of Budweiser in the other. She smiled lightly before nodding her head and stumbling to the side to let me in. I walked past her and looked back to see her swig back the last quarter of the bottle in 2 big gulps. She discarded the bottle on the floor nearby the other 3 bottles I assume are from today also and it was only 2pm. At least they were in a neat line I guess, not that the rest of the house was clean. Well when I say clean, it wasn't dirty but it was untidy. I knew Shay found it difficult to keep it looking decent here because her mum didn't give a shit. She'd clean the house spotless and within a few hours it was trashed. The only room in the house that was presentable was Shays room. I was the only person who actually came here because she was too embarrassed to let people know how she lived.

I wanted to get her out of this place but she refused saying her mum needed her. I told her to come stay with me - she didn't want to. I couldn't rent her a place of her own because i'm not legit like that, even my own place was paid upfront for the year in cash and the landlord only let me do it because I knew him through my dad.

"Cam, it's been too long. Nice to see you looking so well". She stuttered out whilst taking in my appearance. She allowed her body to fall back onto the single armchair. She giggled lightly before manoeuvring her head towards the door. I followed her gaze to see Shay standing there with her hand on her hip looking unimpressed. "Yeah, nice to see you too Anita. Well, not nice but yeah". I said feeling awkward. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked, definitely offended. She flung her head backwards over the arm of the sofa and began tapping the wall in an off beat rhythm. "It means you need to fix up and stay off the alcohol". I said sternly. "Got my sister around this bullshit man". I added. "Kane leave it". Shay basically whispered from the doorway. "Not like your mums any better". She said slurring her words. "This is what he done. Your bastard of dad. I bet your no better". She spat out. I couldn't help but to feel disgusted at this 40 year Moroccan lady with missing teeth and dribble now hanging from her lip. She was once so pretty and now...atrocious. She couldn't chat for my mum, atleast she had all her teeth. Besides, she might be a bit fucked up but she was still pretty. My mum looked young for her age, 43. I guess black really don't crack. "Yo, mind how your talking you know". I said through gritted teeth. "Or what?" She laughed. "You'll beat me like your dad did?" She continued. "I might". I said simply. Her face changed from angry to shocked like she couldn't believe I just said that. This woman was pissing me off. She weren't my mum and I didnt have to deal with her. "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE NOW. AMIRAH GET HIM OUT". She screamed before getting up and stumbling across the room to grab another beer from the coffee table. Me and Shay both left the house and went and sat in my car.

I glanced at Shay sat in the passenger seat with her head in her hands crying. I felt bad for her but I didn't know what else to do. I hated seeing her like this but she wouldn't let me help her. She loved her mum so much no matter how drunk she was or how much she disrespected her. "Your staying at mine". I demanded rather than asked. "I can't". She said softly wiping her tears. "I'll probably come back to her dead". She added. "It's not your job to take care of her Shay, she's a grown woman". I added. "I know". She said fiddling with her fingers. "But if I don't noone else will. I'm just sick of cleaning up Dad's mess". She let out a frustrated sigh and dragged her hands down her face. "only so long you can blame dad". I stated. "She needs help. Rehab. Something". I added. She just sighed and slouched down a little bit. I knew it was a sensitive subject for her so I didn't press her too much about it, but something needed to change. I knew she no longer wanted to talk to me so I pulled out a roll of money and handed it to her. She looked up at me still on the verge of tears and said thank you. "Be safe, Cameron". She said before leaning over and planting a kiss on my cheek. I smiled at her before she exited the car, pulling off once she got in the house.