Chapter 7

Nicole's POV

As I held on Emilia, I felt a slight tug in my chest as if it were burning. There's also this unknown feeling that I didn't want to let her go. I let her cry on me until I felt her body became heavy. She had fallen asleep.

I gently carried her bridal style to the guest room that she and Maddy was currently occupying. It was also the same room that my sister occupies every time she visited. My friends on the other hands were not aware of this unit. Whenever it was my turn to party, we used the penthouse since it was bigger and sound proof. We could go as loud as we can without disturbing the other tenants.

As I settled Emilia in the bed, I can't help but brushed the loose hair from her face. She was beyond gorgeous and out of my reach. Ever since I first laid my eyes on her, I knew then that she owned my heart, I'm just to coward to admit. It was also the reason that I can't hold any relationships. I can't help think about her when I'm with them.

She had rejected me even before I tried. The first time I approached her, I felt this thick walls that surrounded her. Ice princess had bee her nick name few months upon entering school via academic scholarship. She had been a member of the student council since freshman and now was the president. Emila kept her cold image up to the end, never showing much emotions or weakness.

John was her only constant companion. I never understand how she warmed up to him. Maybe he succeeded by using his charm and her smile that could pass as a toothpaste model. Despite his charming and gentle persona was a ruthless jerk. I knew because I have witnessed him fucked different girls. He thought he was smart for not screwing the girls at school but we came from the same circle so I knew he screws new girl or sometimes girls at every party that we attended.

As I walked back to the living room to check on Maddy, my phone rang. It was Jane my bestfriend. "Sup bestie?" I said as I answered the phone.

"Where the hell have you been? We have been calling you last night! You missed the party at Tony's."

"Sorry, something came up and I got so exahusted that I fell asleep." I lied. I have no intention in sharing to them Em's ordeal. It was not my story to tell. Besides, I just got her to warm up to me. The last thing I wanted to do was break her trust.

"In short, you got laid. We understand. Just next time text or call us. See you monday!"

Got laid? If they only knew. I laughed at the thought. Even my own friends really thinks that I'm screwing around. It's my fault anyways. After she hang up, I checked my phone and saw several missed calls and sms. My phone was in silent so I was not able to notice their message last night but since I placed it to my pocket without even checking first before having breakfast, I was able to feel the vibration.

"Nick! Look! I won!" Maddy said as she showed me the result of her game. I looked at her and saw that she was wearing a big shirt, it was probably owned by Em. I took a little pity for the little girl, she deserved better. I had no idea the Em lived such a hard life. While the majority of the students in the school spends money like crazy, there were students like Em that needed to work hard for every penny that spent. It made me feel guilty. I had never done any chores my whole life. It made me wonder how just how can I contribute to society without using my parent's money.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" I asked and the little girl nodded. "What do you think about ice cream?"

"Ice cream?" The little girl asked like it was foreign to her. Was they really that poor that the little girl haven't had an ice cream in her life? "What's that?"

"You never had and ice cream?" She shook her head no. "How about chocolate?" Again she shook her head no. I'm not really a fan of ice cream so I won't be expecting it to be in my freezer. Then came an idea. "How about you and me go outside for an ice cream?"

"How about Em?"

"Em's a little tired right now. She's sleeping and I don't want to bother her."

"Oh..." The little girl saddened and it melted my heart.

"What's wrong little girl?" I asked.

"Em... works a lot so that I won't go hungry." She started, her voice breaking and tears were pooling on her eyes. "Sometimes she doesn't eat to and gives me her food but I know she's hungry because I can hear her stomach making a weird noise, just like mine when I'm hungry." She finally burst in tears. "Then... sometimes, mommy will just get her money then..." I can't take it anymore, I pulled the little girl into my embrace. She was so innocent yet so mature. She knew the hardship that her sister was going through. Her story about her mother made my nostril flare. I was thinking of getting her a good lawyer but perhaps I should just let her be. Besides, Em hadn't discussed with me her plans regarding her mother.

"Shhhh... don't cry little girl... I'm here and as long as I'm here, you'll never go hungry again." I don't know what was in my mind when I said that but I meant every words. I haven't even know her for a whole day and yet I became to attached already. "And I'll take care of Em too. I'll make sure she'll have plenty of rest."

"Promise?"

"I promise." The she fell asleep. I took a deep breath and carried her to the room that she shared with Em.

I tucked her under the bed but when I was about to leave the room, I felt a small hand on my shirt. "Don't go..." Maddy whispered. I then moved her closer to Em and laid beside her.

I closed my eyes for much needed sleep.

Ice cream's going to wait for another time.

Emilia's POV

I woke up and felt a heavy weight on my stomach. I knew it wasn't Madeleine because it was heavier than expected. When I looked around, I saw Madeleine snuggled into Nick whose arm was in my stomach. She must have felt me moved and woke up. "Sorry..." She said as she removed her arms.

"What happened?" I asked. The last thing I remembered was crying on the kitchen, I don't remember how I ended up in the room.

"You fell asleep after crying so I carried you here, then Maddy fell asleep too." She explained. "As I was about to leave, she won't let go and asked me to stay." I nodded in understanding. "How are you?"

"Better." I replied honestly. "I slept nice and it was a good cry." I admitted. "I never felt this relief before." Everytime I woke up, I had this worry about who will look after Madeleine when I was at school or work. Do I have enough money to buy food? Does my mother found my secret cash again? But then today, I woke up without those worries.

"I'm glad." She smiled geniunely.

"Where are you going?" I asked as she started to get up.

"Outside... to give you both space."

I looked into Madeleine and saw that she was holding one of Nicole's arm tightly. "If you move you'll wake her up."

"Oh." She finally noticed. "My arm's been hostage." She giggled and I join her.

Madeleine then started to stirr and opened her eyes. She sat up, yawned and stretched like a cat. My little sister then looked around and saw two pairs of eyes looking amusely at her. "Em!" I didn't know what had gotten into her a she flung herself to me. "You feeling better?"

"Yes I do." I replied. I wondered what occuured when I fell asleep. "How about you?"

"Good!" She said with a nod. "Nick said to buy be an ice cream. Can we go have some?" I raised a brow at Nicole and she just scratched her head acting innocent. "Please?"

"Okay." Who was I to deprive her to such luxury. I actually felt guilty for I haven't treated her with ice cream or real cake for her birthday. My money was always short or being taken by my good for nothing mother.

"Yey!" She screamed in delight. "Nick! Em said we can go! So can we? can we?"

"Of course we can, but it's almost lunch time so you need to eat lunch first, then we'll go and get ice cream." Nick replied. I looked at the clock and it was already half past eleven.

"I'll make us something." I stood up and left leaving the two in the room.

And for the first time in years, I felt my lips curved into a smile.

A real smile.